Upgrading to Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mvanhorn, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

I have searched the forum, and no one seems to have had this same problem, and I haven't been able to figure it out.

I have a VM running XP, and I follow the instructions found here http://kb.parallels.com/en/5023, but the wizard never starts and there are never any instructions that appear. After selecting "Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade" from the menu, the VM does start automatically, but it just starts normally, and the Vista install never begins.

Can someone please explain in more detail what the "Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade" actually does? For me, it doesn't seem to do anything other than start the VM.

Thanks!

Mike VanHorn

2. bomberaia

bomberaia Member

Some Vista's will not upgrade. You have to do a clean install. You need the Business version and up to upgrade.

3. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

I am trying to use Vista Enterprise Edition; that's "above" business, right?

Anyway, the problem seems to be (at least, it seems this way to me) that I select "Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade" and nothing special seems to happen.

Mike VanHorn

4. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

You have to select NEW and install Vista. You will have 2 vm which you can choose from.

That is if you have a full cd off vista and not an upgrade....

5. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

Can you please clarify those instructions? Where do I select NEW? Is this supposed to happen after I select "Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade"?

Also, I have a "full CD off vista", not an upgrade-only disc.

6. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Start parallels, select now new in menubar. From there you can install vista

Attached Files:

7. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

Apparently, I'm not explaining myself clearly. I don't want to create a new VM with Vista on it. I want to upgrade an existing VM with XP to Vista. According to the Parallels documentation, I should choose "Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade" from the menu and something "magic" will happen, but this doesn't seem to do *anything*.

8. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

honestly why Vista?

what will you gain?

best clone your VM and play with a spare copy keepig WinXP Sp2 intact

have you run the MS Utilty about Vista ready?

Hugh W

9. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

I just want to learn Vista. I need to support it, so I figure I had better at least learn to use it.

That's what I'm doing.

Yes. It said the video card wouldn't work. which I know is wrong, because I have Vista running in a VM already, which wasn't an upgrade but a clean install, and the video is fine.

Mike VanHorn

10. jd300

jd300 Junior Member

will it support windows vista ultimate edition