Need help in accessing Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Helena, May 1, 2008.

1. Helena

Helena Member

I have changed all the settings in the virtual machine (shared, bridged, host only) Nothing seems to work.

Now I am trying to figure out if the problem is in Windows:

Address type assigned by DHCP
    IP address is 10.37.129.4
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway

Could the problem be that there is no default gateway? I've gotten this far in trying to understand all this computer stuff, but I do not know how to fix the gateway.

These are all automatic settings. Should I be putting them in manually? Where? Which ones?

Windows does not detect any problems with the connection. I have tried repairing the connection. I am connected through an ethernet cable connection and have upgraded to the most recent build - 5582. Internet connection through the Mac is fine.

I am tired -- I have spent three weeks trying getting this to work. Can someone help me? Parallels support does not respond.

2. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

What kind of internet connection do you have, DSL, Cable? Do you have a router?

3. Helena

Helena Member

Thank you for your response. I have a cable internet connection. The computer that I am trying to fix is hard wired to Airport Extreme (other computers here are connected via wireless). I do not see an outlet on the modem where I can connect this computer directly to it.

4. Helena

Helena Member

The other thing I wanted to point out is that all had been working fine until an Apple software update took place three weeks ago. After that, I could no longer access web sites on IE. My Internet connection works fine on my Mac, but I need to use a web site that is only accessible through an IE browser. Thanks!

5. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Airport Extreme should be ok. From your IP address (10.37.129.4), I think you are using host only network which will not allow you to go out to Internet. You need to change it to either shared or bridged. After you change it, type ipconfig in a command windows to make sure you get a different ip. And then try IE again.

6. Helena

Helena Member

Thanks - I was going back an forth with the shared/bridged/host settings. Originally it was shared.

I ran ipconfig again and got:

IP address 10.211.55.5
    Subnet MAsk 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 10.211.55.1

I tried shared and also bridged settings -- refreshing and restarting the machine each time. I even tried different web sites (www.microsoft.com). Still does not work. When I click Diagnose Connection problems in response to "IE cannot display the web page", I get HTTP, HTTPS, FTP successfully connected to...

What other settings could it be -- the advanced settings in internet options?

7. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

The values from ipconfig look normal. One possibility is that it failed to contact the DNS server. To check that, type ping www.google.com in the command windows. If you see a can not find host message you might be missing DNS setting. What you need to do is manually enter the IP address of the primary and the secondary DNS servers into the network setting on the Windows VM side. Just open the Network Connection from the Control Panel and open the properties window of the Parallels Network Adapter.

You can find the DNS servers IP address from the Airport Utility.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  8. Helena

Helena Member

Thanks -- All seemed to work when I pinged Google (all packets sent and received).

I looked at the Airport Utility settings -- the DNS numbers were not highlighted (ok?). Still, I thought I'd gave it a try and copied them manually in the DNS server addresses in TCP/IP properties. Previously it was -- "Obtain DNS server address automatically"

Nothing worked - even after restarting and trying different web sites.

I ran ipconfig/all (I don't know how to paste it). Some key entries are:

IP Configuration

Primary DNS Suffix:
    Node Type: Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet Adapter Local Connection

Connection-Specific DNS Suffix:
    Description: Parallels Network Adapter
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    DHCP Server 10.211.55.1
    DNS Servers: 68.87.76.178

The IP address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway were the same as above. Before I manually entered the DNS, the DNS Server was 10.211.55.1in automatic mode.

Does having a blank DNS Suffix have anything to do with it?

9. Helena

Helena Member

By the way, I don't know if it makes a difference -- I am still using Tiger.

Thanks for all your help.

10. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

This is very strange. Everything looks good from here. If you can ping google that means your Internet connection is fine. So the only possibility is something from Windows side is blocking destination TCP port 80. It is difficult to diagnose without physically seeing your setup. Do you have any firewall running on Windows VM? Is it possible that your firewall might accidentially block IE?

BTW, to further confirm your DNS setting, ping google again and try to open the reply ip address from IE? Just type http://google ip (replace google ip with real address) and see if you can open that page. If not, something is definitely blocking port 80. We just need to find out what.

11. Helena

Helena Member

Hmm. My firewall was on. I turned it off and nothing changed. I'll do some more troubleshooting later and let you know if anything comes up.

Thanks again for your help! One of the reasons why I switched to Mac a few years ago was to get away from all this PC stuff -- now I am learning much more about PCs than I expected!

12. Helena

Helena Member

Great news! It works! I also had the Kapersky Firewall on (which came with Parallels v. 3). I turned it off and my IE works fine. So simple, and yet it took forever to solve it. Thanks to your help SIDSSP for guiding me through this! It was tremendous!

No thanks to Parallels, which did not respond to five emails from me! The simple guidelines in their knowledge base on this topic really needs to be expanded. I see many people in this forum that also have problems with their internet connections -- the potential solutions need to be better explained by Parallels.

One final question, now that the firewall is off, am I going to open myself up to all sorts of viruses?

Thanks again!!!

13. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

If disabling the Windows Firewall solves the problem it is not Parallels' fault, but rather a Windows issue. That is Windows support.

14. Helena

Helena Member

Turning off the Windows Firewall did not make a difference. Turning off Kaspersky firewall did (Kaspersky came with Parallels 3.0).

Regardless, there should be better documentation on where to look for solutions to this problem in the knowledge base.

15. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Ahh, my point remains, it was a Windows configuration issue.

In fact, it is documented, though: http://kb.parallels.com/en/4789
    It's a known issue, and there is no way of getting rid of it besides learning how to configure Windows. :-\

16. Helena

Helena Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
    Thanks - I'm sorry I didn't come across this earlier!

17. Badri Lokanathan

Badri Lokanathan Bit poster