Suse 10.1 + Parallels 2.1

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by afore, May 25, 2006.

1. afore

afore Member

Upgraded suse 10.0 to 10.1, Parallels would not work. Tried recompiling, came up with Module.symvers file not in /usr/src/linux. Followed the prcedure at http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16340.html to establish file, still get errors, but different errors. tached is error log. Can someone telo me what is going on?

Attached Files:

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting - we will investigate this.

3. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

Guess you didn't notice that i reported this 5 days ago, with no reply!

don

4. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Can you pack /usr/lib/parallels/drivers and send to reports@parallels.com with subject "SuSe 10.1 drivers compilation problem". You must run parallels-config before this.

5. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

afore, thanks for the report.

6. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

I am no longer using suse 10.1. I need parallels so until this is corrected i am using kbuntu, where parallels works fine.

don

7. afore

afore Member

What is time frame for fixing parallels to work in Suse 10.1, a week, two weeks, a month, or months or year? If it is only a couple of weeks, I will wait, otherwise, I will have to go back to Suse 10.0.

8. Cluster-Karl

Cluster-Karl Bit poster

I am also very interested in this!!

regards Kalle

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It is more than 2 weeks - because we'll be able to provide this fix only in new version of Parallels. Can't give you exact date - sorry.

10. mmpm

mmpm Bit poster

Is there any possibility for a workaround or a patch in the meanwhile? Now i can not use your product i had payed for.

I am using SuSE 10.1 - i dont wont to downgrade my system and i dont wont to downgrad my kernel.

And whats about a new version: I have bought the actual version, do i have to pay a lot of money again?

OK, you need some time to fix the problems, i understand. - How long does it take? Meanwhile other problems with SuSE 10.1 (comercial drivers) are solved - so my system works as fine as bevor execept your compiling problem.

"can't give exact date" - is no acceptable friendly answer. I also want to know the approximately date. Please remember: Your company demands a lot of money, promises a very well working product for this money. I had already payed my bill -- and your product still doesnt install!

11. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

mmpm,

you should refer to win4lin archives with regard to suse and the problems that related vendors have with their release cycle. for at least 7 years they have failed to release their sources with their upgrades - many times it is 6 months or more before they comply with their open source obligations, and they are notorious for making modifications. i know, i have used suse for years and faced this problem. you would be best served by not being on the bleeding edge if you are dependent on emulators/virtualizers. the problem is with suse - not parallels.

12. constant

constant Forum Maven

mmpm,

Please help me. I have looked everywhere on the Parallels website for the 10.1 compatable version. I can only find a version compatable with 10.0 and 9.3. Would you be so kind as to provide me with a link to the 10.1 compatable version?

13. dglock2

dglock2 Hunter

As yet there isn't any! Many people are waiting for the fix, the problem is NOT suse, its parallels.

don

14. sithglan

sithglan Bit poster

15. mmpm

mmpm Bit poster

:) Thanks for your patch! Now, compiling goes on and all drivers are compiled.

But there is another error: The install-script ends with the following lines:

Configuring Parallels Workstation 2.1 build 1670

Configuring Parallels Workstation 2.1 drivers...
    Compiling Parallels Workstation 2.1 drivers...
    Drivers have been compiled successfully.
    Installing drivers...
    Starting drivers...
    Loading Parallels Workstation 2.1 hypervisor ...
    insmod: error inserting '/usr/lib/parallels/drivers/hypervisor/hypervisor.o': -1 Unknown symbol in module
    Can not load hypervisor module.
    Parallels Workstation drivers were successfully configured
    and compiled but cannot be started (insmod command failed).

Any idea?

I am using SuSE 10.1 with kernel 2.6.16.13-4

16. sithglan

sithglan Bit poster

Hello,
    most likely you compiled the module for a kernel you're currently not running. Please send me the complete output of:

( cd /usr/lib/parallels; ./configure; make ) &> /tmp/log

to my eMail address thomas@glanzmann.de and don't forget to add the output of uname -r

17. mmpm

mmpm Bit poster

Solved: Suse 10.1 + Parallels 2.1

:) :) Thanks! I did forget to do: make clean, make cloneconfig, make prepare-all. - Now all modules are successfully loaded and the programm runs!

18. mvalent

mvalent Bit poster

Can somebody tell me wich file should be patched ?
    And... excuse my ignorance but what is the command line to use to patch the file ?
    Thanks !

19. afore

afore Member

Ditto for me.

20. mmpm

mmpm Bit poster

It is very easy: First you have to download the patch. Rename the file 'patch' to an unique name, for example: patch.parallels-2.1

Next you copy this file to
    /usr/src/linux/scripts

On a terminal go to this directory and invoke the following command:

patch < patch.parallels-2.1

That's all. It is not necessary to specify the name of the file to patch.

Additional after patching, i recommend to execute:
    make clean
    make clone-config
    make prepare-all

Then installing should work.