Screen resolution problems in Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by altoclef, Apr 24, 2008.

1. altoclef

altoclef Bit poster

I waited until today to get the final release of 8.04, and I installed it into a new VM on my Parallels (3.0, 5584) on Mac OS X. The screen appears to be a tiny resolution (1024x768?), and several dozen pixels are cropped off the bottom of the screen, thus eliminating the taskbar.

When I go to "Screen Resolution" in the "Preferences", it reports "None" until I select something. Most of the settings produce an unreadable screen, but selecting 1024x768 gives a window the same size, but with the taskbar now showing. I have tried entering custom resolutions in the video section of the VM configuration, but this has had no effect--the settings I enter do not even show up in the resolution control panel.

I cannot make the VM go full screen or any other arbitrary screen resolution. Has anybody else had this problem?

2. Chuck Maddox

Chuck Maddox Bit poster

Hi, First post, similar experience, same results...

altoclef Posts:

"I waited until today to get the final release of 8.04, and I installed it into a new VM on my Parallels (3.0, 5584) on Mac OS X. The screen appears to be a tiny resolution (1024x768?), and several dozen pixels are cropped off the bottom of the screen, thus eliminating the taskbar.

Hello Altoclef,

This is my first post in this forum. My apologies in advance for any gaffes I make or rules I transgress...

I am experiencing the same behavior. I had gone through the nice on line "how-to" at SimpleHelp to get 7.10 installed on my machine, dutifully waited until yesterday to download the release version of 8.04 Ubuntu. And I'm experiencing the same rather small screen with an oddball size: 1024 x 640 [which is very weird].

"When I go to "Screen Resolution" in the "Preferences", it reports "None" until I select something. Most of the settings produce an unreadable screen, but selecting 1024x768 gives a window the same size, but with the taskbar now showing. I have tried entering custom resolutions in the video section of the VM configuration, but this has had no effect--the settings I enter do not even show up in the resolution control panel.

The only settings I have been able to use on my setup [Intel Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 3GHz 3gb RAM, 250gb HD running 10.5.2] is 1024 x 640. If I bump it up to 1024 x 768 I lose the bottom of the screen, no taskbar, etc. VERY ANNOYING.

I'd also like to be able to select larger resolutions to display. I have a 23" Apple Cinema Display on this Mini, 1024 x 768 seems like a postage stamp on the screen, 1024 x 640 even more so.

I cannot make the VM go full screen or any other arbitrary screen resolution. Has anybody else had this problem?

I am having the same, or at the very least a similar problem. I'm a Linux Newbie. I've been contemplating purchase of a eee PC or an HP Mini-Note [since Apple has been ignoring this market segment], and been using Parallels to explore both Ubuntu and Xandros [via the eee PC SDK]. I'd love to be able to convince Parallels to utilize more of my available screen real-estate.

Anyone have any suggestions, or better yet a solution?

Thanks in advance, and again, sorry if as a Newbie I'm treading on toes or nerves.

-- Chuck

3. Chuck Maddox

Chuck Maddox Bit poster

Hello? TAP TAP TAP... Is this microphone working?

Little help?

Anyone have any ideas?

-- Chuck

4. rm53

rm53 Member

Ubuntu warns you about being in minimalistic graphics mode.
    This is because you have not installed Parallels Tools with its graphics drivers. The problem is, you cannot install it. See the other threads here dealing with Parallels Tools and Ubuntu.
    Looks like we have to wait for a PD update.

5. Chuck Maddox

Chuck Maddox Bit poster

Sounds like it's beyond my ability to fix on my own.

Must have missed that. I just did a clean install of 8.04 in a new "container".
    Sounds like it's beyond my ability to fix on my own. So I wait with everyone else I guess for the update.

-- Chuck

6. altoclef

altoclef Bit poster

Yep, I must have missed it too. I never saw anything relating to that on Ubuntu's web site or during the installation process.

7. altoclef

altoclef Bit poster

Well, I just installed the latest Parallels build that came out today (5600), and while it seems to have fixed the screen resolution problem inasmuch as I can now see the last few dozen pixels that were getting chomped off the bottom of the screen, I still can't install the Parallels Tools…