Parallels Desktop for Mac Release Candidate is ready for download!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Ben @ Parallels, May 18, 2006.

1. EBorisch

EBorisch Bit poster

RC1 Crashes on launch...

Any suggestions? Is there any way to download the previous version so I can at least get back up and running?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. Ksafbond

Ksafbond Junior Member

OS X reboot frequently since RC1

My Macbook Pro reboot frequently since I've installed RC1.

And It cause damage to the partition of my VM.

I never have that with beta 6 !

Suggestions ?:( :confused: :(

3. thingi

thingi Bit poster

Full Res 1280x720 video issues are still present.... :-(

But I like the auto res switch when going from teh desktop to full screen :)

Networking seems pretty stable :)

My Terratec Cinergy T2 still causes a BSOD when try to perform a channel scan in either mode or the terratec software :-(

Parallels isn't as slow as a dog to load and close anymore :)

All in all good job, I like the progress which is being made, Well done all in all

Thingi

4. Alexey

Alexey Junior Member

Was Parallels running in the reboot time?
    Can you specify what is the guest OS and what did the guest OS do in the reboot time?

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  5. Ksafbond

Ksafbond Junior Member

Yes I was using Parallels in the reboot time.
    The guest was XP home. I was working in a professionnal medical software. I do this with beta 6 for hours without any problem.
    After the reboot, XP repair lost cluster at the booting. This action never end. T0 run Xp, I must skip this step.

Tank for your help !

Ksaf

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Ksafbond,

Thank you for report - we will investigate this.

7. Ronch

Ronch Bit poster

Thorough tests

I own an IT company and am a rare non-biased Mac and PC user and technician. I can ALMOST tell anybody nowadays to get a mac when asked what to buy, and the change from "sometimes a pc is better for certain uses" to "get a mac no matter what" was all due to Parallels. I used to tell most corporate users or even small business users to stick with the platform that the office was using for office situations, and always recommended macs for home use unless there were specific needs that required a pc.

Gamers who wanted all the PC games in the past were still referred to Dell or other PC manufacturers and as of today, will continue to be sent that route as relatvely few games work at this time with parallels. Direct Draw causes errors, and 5 out of 5 games loaded tonight on this RC fail to launch or crash. The windows OS runs at great speeds and if you have a 2.16 GHZ mac, then Windows is faster in Parallels than most PC boxes running natively.

I would love to see this thing perfected as I have set it up on at least 20 macs for different uses in the past 2 weeks, (Boot camp is not really a viable option for many business people who only know what they know, and dont want to reboot to switch to ACT or other business software and this works great for that crowd) For me and gaming, boot camp is still the only option at this time but I too would love to avoid restarts. I praise the work done so far here and hope that the few remaining bugs get worked out soon! If there is any way I can help get these issues resolved, so we can really use all this great hardware for gaming on the PC platform without rebooting, I would love to do my part!

8. mafoe

mafoe Bit poster

Installing Windows software to a shared folder

hi there, I tried to install Lotus Notes 7.0.1 to a shared folder, but the installer says there is not enough diskspace available.

Any hint is appreciated.

Cheers marco

9. ekaram

ekaram Bit poster

Very good but slows Mac

I have been using the product since Beta2 was released and i can see the definite improvements. However, since RC was released i have noticed that the Mac became slow. RC takes no less than 175 Mb of memeory and goes sometimes to 300. It also uses around 30 to 40% of CPU and on start, it uses 80% and i have seen 120%, which just freezes the Mac until Windows is on. I hope these problems will be resolved.
    Another issue i have is folder sharing. The one proposed is very slow. If i am in windows and i map My Documents to the Mac's HD, clicking on My Documents takes a bit of time to get it open. I use instead an application called SharePoints which is much much faster.
    I have raised both issues through support but have not got any answer. I hope they are working on that because the product is really good and needs just tuning.

10. hayes_philip

hayes_philip Junior Member

Hi ekaram,
    Quick question, how have you mapped your MAC's HD to your My documents folder?

Thanks
    Philip

11. hayes_philip

It's ok

I worked it out.

12. ekaram

ekaram Bit poster

Hi Philip
    I used SharePoints where i shared Documents folder on Mac and named it OSXtoXp. Then in Windows, you right-click on My Documents and in the Traget box you write \\MacName\OSXtoXP. When you puxh Apply, you are asked if you want to move all the files youu have under My Documents to the new location, you should normally answer no if you do nnot have any in Windows. And that's it.
    Normally it should work also when using the shared folders of Parallels Desktop (map target to \\.host\Documents), but for some reason this works exremely slow. I hope the guys will solve it soon.

Cheers
    Elie

13. hayes_philip

Thanks Elie

14. phpmonkey

phpmonkey Bit poster

Has anyone successfully gotten the built-in iSight's to work on the Intel Macs?

-Jerome

15. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

They work fine on the Intel Macs... Oh, you mean in the XP VM? :D That would require windows drivers to be written for the iSight... something no one's done, including apple or it would be on the drivers disk created by the Boot Camp setup.

16. mkoistinen

mkoistinen Bit poster

I upgraded while in a suspended state without issue.

17. charles

charles Bit poster

Just edit your virtual machine network adapter setting and choose en1 for the adapter.

hth
    charles

18. charles

charles Bit poster

19. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

20. billdill

billdill Junior Member

SlingPlayer Still Crashes under RC 2

SlingPlayer crashes after about 10 minutes with an online transfer speed of 320k/sec from my DSL account.

I'm using Winows XP Professional
    MBP 2 GHz
    2 MB of Ram
    OS X 10.4.6