Editing Parallels Activation Key

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jpmartinez, May 10, 2008.

1. jpmartinez

jpmartinez Bit poster

Hello,

I was given the task to build out a few MacBook pros. The problem is, I have very little experience with Mac as I am a pure Windows user.

I have a master MacBook Pro Image with a fresh install of Windows runing a volume license. The problem here is that when I deploy this image, the Parallels key will be the same on all the machines. I already have purchased several copies of Parallels.

I found this solution, however the OP did not post the exact procedure he used.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=19579

- Can someone advise on what command to use in Terminal to delete the file described in the link above along with what specific permissions to modify so I can input a new key for Parallels in deployed images?

Thanks!

2. Zippy

Zippy Member

I would assume the OP used Terminal to reveal the hidden file (anything starting with a "." is hidden/invisible
    Terminal is just Unix, and therefore similar to DOS etc
    Open the terminal and enter "cd Library/Parallels/"
    Next "ls -a" shows all files preceded by the dot

Finally, I assume, you would use "rm .parallels_license_3.0"

I must warn you that I am a complete Unix novice and cannot promise your machine will still work!
    A safer way would be to use some utility such as PathFinder, Tinkertool or File Buddy to make invisible files visible and delete as normal.

HTH

3. jpmartinez

jpmartinez Bit poster

Thanks for the tip. I will poke around & try out your suggestions. Are the utilities you mentioned freeware?

4. Zippy

Zippy Member