Infected Winxp.hdd

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by gpvanroe, May 8, 2008.

1. gpvanroe

gpvanroe Bit poster

I have Parallels w/windows XP installed on my 2008 IMAC It works great with no problems. Last week I thought that I would try a virus scan for my IMAC. I did two different company scans and they both showed a virus in some of my MS WORD documents and the WINXP-HDD. I did not purchase the MACSCAN but it let me scan and would not do anything about the infected files. The other program is CLAMXV a freeware. It told me take out the infected files myself and did not offer any repair. I took the WINXP.HDD out of its folder and set it aside. When I tried to start up Parallels again it would not respond.

My question is how can I replace the infected WINXP.HDD with another one so I can trash the infected one? I don't know much about this stuff. And NO I did not back up my VM in the beginning. Is there a repair for this file?

Gerry

2. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Maybe try NOD32 on your Windows install, but if you can't boot it up, I think you're out of luck. Were you running Kaspersky, and if so did it not catch the virus? I'm sure you now see the value of backing up your system and taking snapshots from time-to-time. Maybe someone else here can think of something.

Sorry,
    John

3. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Winxp.hdd is the file that contains your virtual machine's hard disk. Most probably your Mac virus scanner found a virus infecting your Windows virtual machine.

In order to fix this you will have to put the .hdd file back in its origional location(as the .hdd file basically IS your virtual machine). After the file is back you should be able to boot the virtual machine, but before you do turn off Mac shared folders in the VM's prefrences so the virus can't infect any files in your Mac.

Next install a good Windows virus scanner in the VM and nuke the virus.

Remember to turn back on Mac shared folders in the VM's prefrences after you've killed the virus.

Parallels people: please erase the forum spam :(

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Some free antiviruses:
    Calwin
    AVG free
    Also kaspersky trial is included