Snapshot Errors after 5600 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by torchydt, May 11, 2008.

1. torchydt

torchydt Bit poster

Hi,

Just upgraded from 5584 to 5600. Parallels froze and kernel panicked system after upgrade, but works fine after re-boot with one exception. All the snapshots I created under 5584 fail to work on 5600 (error -301 when trying to revert). On my test rig I am none too concerned, but I would like to apply the upgrade to my live environment but need to preserve two different snapshots that I have on that. Is there total incompatibility between the two versions? Is there any way I can preserve my two snapshots and upgrade?

Thanks.

David

2. torchydt

torchydt Bit poster

Bump. Nobody else seeing this? I'd really like some advice before risking the upgrade to my live system.

3. MissionMan

MissionMan Junior Member

I picked up similar errors on my VM when deleting snapshots. I have had to restore my VM a couple of times (backup the parallels folder) due to this problem so I wouldn't say its specifically related to the 5600 update. In my case, the error occured after updating all my Snapshots (multiple branches) to XP SP3, which worked fine and then deleting the old snapshots. I'm not 100% sure why, but it seems the problem in my case is more likely to occur if I go into admin settings in windows and select the option to delete old install file and temp files. (It has happened twice a couple of days after doing this). Oddly enough, the really weird part about this is that it seemed to say I was at a different snapshot (completely different branch) to where I was.

I'm almost contemplating dropping snapshots in favour of separate VM's (more space issues then) because of these snapshot problems.

4. notlus68

notlus68 Bit poster

I experienced the same issue after I upgraded to build 5600 and upgraded my guest OS to XPSP3. It would be helpful to know if there is any way to recover the snapshots.

5. MissionMan

MissionMan Junior Member

Have you tried uninstalling parallels and reinstalling the old version?

I was lucky I had backups of my parallels folder so restoring that gave me back my system.