tell parallels to IGNORE certian hardware

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by akidd, Jul 13, 2007.

1. akidd

akidd Member

IGNORE or PREVENT visibility of specific hardware

I feel like I am missing the obvious... is there any way to tell parallels to permanently ignore or prevent visibility of a piece of hardware in a guest OS?

I have a USB device I want to use in OSX but not in XP.

The details are below if you are interested....

------------

I have the Verizon 740 WWAN ExpressCard/34 card - with native support in OSX. It works brilliantly.

Using a Windows XP guest under Parallels 3.0 works well too. No problems.

However if I just close my MacBook without shutting down, when I reopen/restart it Windows detects a "new device" and OSX no longer sees the 740. Even if I ignore all the detected hardware messages and/or disable the device in XP there is no way I can get OSX to see the 740 again unless I go to the the Device menu in Parallels OSX and deselect under the Devices, USB menu "Verizon 740". Windows then does not see the device and OSX can use it again. (this is odd as it isn't a USB device it is a ExpressCard/34 card, but it appears to work, I believe the Expresscard standard does have some kind of USB support though)

I don't believe windows needs to see this device as I am sharing the network connection and there are no drivers for the 740 in XP anyway so if I just make it invisible to Parallels it should solve the problem.

Help?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. akidd

akidd Member

Bump...

Let me ask another way. Is there a config file or UI option to have parallels completely ignore a specific device? If it is plugged in - don't detect it in guest OSes??

3. chinarut

chinarut Member

I'm a proud Parallels Desktop owner after the MacUpdate bundle went thru :)

sure this gets activity up here in these forums!

i notice nobody has answered this thread - I, too, would like such a feature.

I have already configured "ask me what to do" per this thread:

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=20536

I'm tempted to have my USB devices always connect to Mac OS X as a workaround and do away with USB devices - the dialog box slams my CPU if it goes unanswered in the background (ie. in a different space)