Network Errors after upgrade to build 5600

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by csiemen, May 11, 2008.

1. csiemen

csiemen Bit poster

After upgrading to 5600, Shared Networking was broken on my Parallels install. Have a WinXP virtual machine where under build 5584 would obtain an IP from my DHCP server. After install of 5600, my virtual machine instead 'takes over' the IP of the host MacBook Pro, leading to lots of nasty popups from OSX telling me that the mac address of my Winxp Parallels virtual machine now has the IP address of the host OSX. If I shutdown my WinXP system, OSX gets it back. Went back to build 5584 and everything is OK again with Shared Networking working fine with it's own IP address. Just to see, upgraded again to 5600 and it broke again. Went back to 5584 and it's OK. Would appear to be an issue with 5600.

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. BerbBrown

BerbBrown Bit poster

Hi

I have the same problem.

My previous version of parallels was working fine with networking and after installing the new build 5600 my Macbook pro cannot connect to the Internet when my Parallels is running. I haven't changed my settings at all.

Can anyone help please!!!!!!!!!!!

BB

3. BigD289

BigD289 Bit poster

Hi

Exactly the same problem here, Parallels 'takes over' the IP address of the Mac. Have internet available in WinXP but not in the MacOS. I keep getting IP address conflict errors with same MAC address as used by Parallels. As a result the Mac keeps 'getting' a new IP address from my router.

Very annoying... does anyone have any ideas?

I'm connected via 'Bridged Ethernet' under Parallels.

4. composer22

composer22 Bit poster

IM glad others are having this same problem and I am not going insane...eer not really glad you are having a problem just not that I am going insane that is!

OK...I tried shared and host connections - same issue. Extremely annoying since I need to access both XP web browser and Safari at same time sometimes...

5. csiemen

csiemen Bit poster

I've opened a real support ticket with Parallels (since this forum is a HUGE help, but isn't their real support channel). I'd suggest anyone else with the problem do the same so some attention can be brought to the problem. It's a show-stopper for me.

6. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Hello all:

Funny, because I upgraded my parallels on the MINI and the MBP, the MBP gave me the issue and what I did was stop the virtual machine and reboot the MBP, make sure the MBP gets and IP and then start the VM again, and I rebooted my router, since DHCP on it may have been hung. That seemed to have cured the issue for me.

MV

7. alexofindy

alexofindy Member

Same thing happened to me. I updated to 5600, and shared networking failed. I have placed a support ticket.

For the time being, I have switched to bridged networking.

8. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

... but I can't use bridged networking at work ...

My office has firewalling that doesn't allow a second IP on the same computer and shuts down the port when it is detected.

Also shared networking in 5600 doesn't seem to be working when I at home, so I switch to bridged there.

9. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Is there a link to download the previous version (5584) so I can downgrade until Parallels issues a fix to 5600?

10. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

My problem solved

Uninstall and reinstall caused the Parallels adapters to obtain proper 10.x.x.x addresses and resolved the guest networking issue.

11. Johnnyangel

Johnnyangel Bit poster

... I've found no such solution ...

I'm having the exact difficulties as described by previous posters, and no combination of uninstall, reinstall, switching from shared to bridged networking, restarting routers, etc. etc. has done the slightest bit of good. To say I'm unhappy to have Parallels now unusable would be a very diplomatic understatement -- especially since I don't have a 5584 installer and can't find one (why don't they provide an archive online?).

12. Johnnyangel

Johnnyangel Bit poster

folllowup ...

Found a 5584 installer finally, via Torrents, and now I'm up and running again ...

13. composer22

composer22 Bit poster

*bump

Has anyone heard back from PARALLELS on whether they ack the problem, ET to fix, or even a workaround other than rolling back a version?

Thanks!

14. engyew

engyew Member

I too have the same problem with Bridged Networking but it seems to be fine for me with Shared Networking. It only started happening with build 5600 - though strangely I was using it fine until today.

Here is what my Console said:

5/16/08 8:14:37 AM [0x0-0x26026].com.parallels.desktop[233] QFSFileEngine::eek:pen: No file name specified
    5/16/08 8:15:03 AM kernel en1 duplicate IP address 192.168.0.8 sent from address 00:6d:60:ef:af:cb
    5/16/08 8:15:03 AM configd[34] DHCP en1: defending IP 192.168.0.8 against 00:6d:60:ef:af:cb 1 (of 3)
    5/16/08 8:15:03 AM kernel en1 duplicate IP address 192.168.0.8 sent from address 00:6d:60:ef:af:cb
    5/16/08 8:15:03 AM configd[34] DHCP en1: defending IP 192.168.0.8 against 00:6d:60:ef:af:cb 2 (of 3)
    5/16/08 8:15:04 AM kernel en1 duplicate IP address 192.168.0.8 sent from address 00:6d:60:ef:af:cb
    5/16/08 8:15:04 AM configd[34] DHCP en1: defending IP 192.168.0.8 against 00:6d:60:ef:af:cb 3 (of 3)
    5/16/08 8:15:19 AM kernel en1 duplicate IP address 192.168.0.8 sent from address 00:6d:60:ef:af:cb
    5/16/08 8:15:19 AM configd[34] DHCP en1: 192.168.0.8 in use by 00:6d:60:ef:af:cb, DHCP Server 192.168.0.1
    5/16/08 8:15:34 AM Parallels[233] CGImageCreate: invalid image size: 0 x 0.
    5/16/08 8:15:34 AM [0x0-0x26026].com.parallels.desktop[233] Fri May 16 08:15:34 mymac.local Parallels[233] <Error>: CGImageCreate: invalid image size: 0 x 0.

15. biglar

biglar Pro

One of the other threads on this subject has an entry from Parallels saying they have identified this as a problem and will issue an update shortly.

16. composer22

composer22 Bit poster

Thanks biglar

Hard to believe this kind of thing got released out of QA!!

17. Jon Richardson

Jon Richardson Member

If you assign a static IP address for your Bridged Networking this will resolve the problem until Parallels come up with a fix. (At least it did for me).

18. eddybauer

eddybauer Bit poster

No, you must roll back to an older version.

19. composer22

composer22 Bit poster

Fix?

I went to look into this a bit more.

I noticed that the preferences in my virtual machone were not the same as the preferences for Parallels in the "...desktop" menu. I set them both to shared, and it seems to be working.

"seems" is the cautious word. I don't know if this fixed it or whether I am just imagining it. I also need to test it for a while to make sure it doesn't regress.

Please check this on your rig.

20. jmanos3

jmanos3 Member

Try disabling the FireWire network device in System Preferences / Network and then reboot. This resolved the issue for me.

I remember having this problem many versions ago and did a search on the forums and found the original posting.