Conversion from VMware Fusion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Todivefor, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Todivefor

Todivefor Member

I am running a trial copy of fusion (bootcamped partition). When i am done, I would like to trial Parallels. Is there a conversion tool like what Fusion has to convert from Parallels? I would like to give each a try.

2. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello,

you can create a Virtual Machine using your Boot Camp partition.
    But if you have an ordinary (not boot camped) VM in Fusion, you can use this VM for creating the VM in Parallels Desktop.

Best regards,
    Stacey

3. Todivefor

Todivefor Member

Stacey,

Thank you. If I use a non-bootcamped VM, I just start Parallels Desktop and use it? No need to run a conversion utility first?

4. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

There are two ways to start your Fusion VM in Parallels.
    1. You can download Parallels Transporter here and install it in your VM in Fusion. Transporter will convert your VM; so you can use it for creating the VM in Parallels Desktop.
    2. You should install Windows (or any other OS you want to have as a guest) in Parallels Desktop, then click 'File' -> 'Import' and use Fusion virtual disk image to transport your Fusion VM into Parallels VM.

Best regards,
    Stacey

5. Todivefor

Todivefor Member

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Any gotchas testing PD going from Fusion?

6. musk

musk Junior Member

For the record, I just used Parallels Transporter included with Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0 build 5600. It successfully converted a WinXP SP2 host from VMware Fusion 1.1.2 to Parallels. I noted no gotchas.

7. dickmead@dslextreme.com

dickmead@dslextreme.com Bit poster

VMWare Fusion 2.01 conversion upgrade stalls/fails

Using transporter get conversion of VMWare 2.01 machine. Opened in Parallels 4 it starts step 1 of upgrade
    and either sits there for hours or gives a fatal error. Never completes. Never gets past step 1.

So I suppose VMWare 2.x is not compatible, right?

Perhaps Parallels 4 is not?

Successfully created a separate Windows vm, so I know that much works.