Anyone is able to run MS Worldwide Telescope?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AvnerPeretz, May 13, 2008.

1. AvnerPeretz

AvnerPeretz Junior Member

I installed Microsoft WorldWide Telescope on my XP guest with Parallels 3.0 on my macBook Pro 15" (4GB RAM 256 VRAM)

- the installation completed with no problem.

When I attempt to run the app I keep getting an error:

************** Exception Text **************
    Error in the application.
    -2005532292 (D3DERR_OUTOFVIDEOMEMORY)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.Reset(PresentParameters[] presentationParameters)
    at Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Device.OnParentResized(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnResize(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnResize(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnSizeChanged(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds(Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height, Int32 clientWidth, Int32 clientHeight)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.UpdateBounds()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmWindowPosChanged(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I suspect directX issue but not sure if it is because of Parallels video drivers compatability issues or a bad/mismatch of DirectX on XP.

I try uninstalling and reinstalling DirectX and WW Telescope to no avail.

Has anyone succeeded in installing and running this app or am I wasting my time?

2. pderby

pderby Member

I installed Worldwide Telescope and am able to launch it just fine. All the windows and menus seems to work. However, the main "sky" window does not show any objects such as stars, deep space objects, etc. So I'm close to running, but not there.

MacBook Pro, Parallels Desktop 3.0, 56000, 1GB windows memory on a 2GB MacBook. Windows XP Pro, SP 2

3. AvnerPeretz

Well,

Yes, thats the same behaviour I see. My experience and understanding is that all the display (graphics) handling of the app body (the sky, planets...) is done through DirectX. All the menus and such are done through the standard video drivers which explains this.

4. pderby

pderby Member

If I enable the experimental Direct X Shaders under the video options the direct-x video portion does show up. However, parallels crashes shortly after trying to display downloaded objects.

5. AvnerPeretz

pderby,

I am going to try this although I am not holding much hope that it will be a smooth sailing.
    I actually found on the Knowledge Base that there are known issues with DirectX and Parallels but under Vista with no current support. Sounds close enough to be relevant to what we are experiencing under XP. Check out:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5171

I am actaully bummed out. I think WWTelescope is an awsome program and I wish I could actually run it on my MBP

6. jake_ster2

jake_ster2 Bit poster

This is an easy fix.

First hit Stop to stop your virtual machine, then hit Edit > Virtual Machine. Navigate down to the Memory tab and make sure you have at least 1024 MB set away for your virtual machine. Then navigate to the Video tab and make sure the Enable DirectX Shaders is checked.

Enableing DirectX Shaders makes the worldwide telescope very unstable, but its the only known fixes at this point.