Windows Update

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jlfeld1, May 22, 2006.

1. jlfeld1

jlfeld1 Bit poster

Hey guys. Quick question:

I just download and installed the RC along with windows XP. I am trying to run windows update but it says that my version of windows is not genuine. I am NOT using a pirated copy. I am using a corporate version that I received from my university a few years ago.

Has anyone else encountered this?

2. chesterc

chesterc Bit poster

Ditto on Windows Update problem

I am experiencing the same issue. I have a legal copy of Win XP Pro which I was able to authenticate after the install. But when I got to Windows Update to get all the security updates and the .Net Framework I get a message saying that my Windows is invalid (possibly pirated)!!!

I truly hope there is a solution. If I can't update Windows then there's no point to running Parallels and I'll have to go back to Bootcamp.

3. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Perhaps Microsoft regards all Corporate versions of XP leaked out as pirated?:mad:

There is a way to bypass that Genuine Windows Validation check, but as that is probably illegal (at least according to Microsoft) I do not think I am allowed to mention that here.:cool:

If you really want to know I could email it to you.

4. nfcatt@yahoo.com.au

nfcatt@yahoo.com.au Bit poster

Hi,

I use www.autopatcher.com - I own licensed versions of WinXP and find this an easier way to keep my Win boxes up to date as it involves ONE download... I also note there is no validation system in place when you do it this way.

Of course only to be used if you hold a valid license for XP....:)

Good luck,

Nelson.

5. chesterc

chesterc Bit poster

I found a fix

Once I installed SP2 for Win XP the problem went away.

How did I get SP2 if Windows Update won't work for me?

Well, when you get to the page where WU kindly tells you you're a pirate notice the link in the menu for "downloads". If you go there you can search for SP2 and download it outside of using WU. Install it, reboot, and voila ... WU starts working again.

:)

6. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

This site can only be used with English versions of Windows. If you have another language version like Traditional Chinese you cannot use it.

[​IMG]

7. MacChelsea

MacChelsea Junior Member

I'm using a Traditional Chinese WinXP Home (Genuine upgrade CD!) and ran into this problem too! Is there a cure for this?

8. sfw

sfw Bit poster

mysteriously working

I, too, had this issue with a corporate license Windows XP SP2. The install into the VM went fine providing the corporate license ID, but when I tried to use Windows' update site to get the myriad patches to SP2, it failed saying my install was not "genuine".

It mysteriously started working the following day when I tried again to perform the update from home rather than through the proxy at work. I don't know for sure, though, that the proxy was the cause; the VM was successfully accessing the internet via the proxy for other purposes. Maybe just waiting a day helped.