NetBSD/i386 3.0 on Parallels -- no network!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by deeng, May 27, 2006.

1. deeng

deeng Bit poster

I can get NetBSD/i386 to boot and install from CD just fine on Parallels (Desktop-1832 on a MacBook), but it doesn't recognize the Realtek network card, I think because it doesn't even recognize the PCI bus! Apparently it's not just me (see http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-i386/2006/04/15/0000.html). I've tried setting "Guest OS" to FreeBSD (both versions) and Linux (I think just 2.4), but so far no luck. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. tiocsti

tiocsti Bit poster

I'm working on this now; since openbsd 3.9 does work, i'm examining the differences between their pci attach code and netbsds. I don't think it's really a parallels problem, per se, since they don't claim to support netbsd.

3. tiocsti

tiocsti Bit poster

The quick workaround is to install 3.0, install the source (prob by copying source sets to another iso and mount it -- thats what I did) untar the source code, go to /usr/src/sys/arch/i386/conf and cp GENERIC to PARALLELSVM. Edit PARALLELSVM and add the following line:

options PCI_CONF_MODE=1

type config PARALLELSVM and rebuild the kernel. That worked for me, but dhclient does not work (doesnt work in openbsd either). Assigning a static ip address seems to be fine, though.

4. deeng

deeng Bit poster

Well, I just tried it, and it works like a charm. DHCP worked for me out of the box, too.