Leopard and Parallels don't let me get online in Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Malosa, May 13, 2008.

1. Malosa

Malosa Member

After reading through this long thread, I have to report that on a clean, first install of Parallels 3.0 (accepting all defaults) onto Leopard, and an equally clean first install of XP Home (accepting all defaults), and an awful lot of fiddling around, XP's internet connection wizard tells me it is connected via a LAN with an ip address but it cannot receive any data. It seems to be able to send packets but not to receive any.

In a moment of madness I tried sending myself a test email, just to see whether that level of info was getting through but no luck. I've turned my NetBarrier settings to Off but still nothing gets through. Everything is saying 'cannot connect to the internet'.

I'm obviously connected via the mac :) but I'm baffled as to why the guest OS has this problem.

I've tried all the network adapter settings, and though XP is claiming it is connected via the host-only option in Parallels and it is saying it is working on a LAN or High Speed internect connection it doesnt receive any incoming signals. I've also tried it with and without Windows firewall settings on but still no incoming signal.

I'm currently re-trying shared networking but no incoming signals are being reported, despite XP's network connection sending!

WHY???? What is going wrong??

2. mateopucu

mateopucu Bit poster

Me too.

Same problem here. I need a fix.

3. Malosa

Malosa Member

I am resisting the upgrade to Parallels till this has been sorted out!

4. biglar

biglar Pro

Some people have had problems connecting because of their Firewall or virus checker. If you have one, you might try turning them off and see if the problem disappears. I know Kapernsky has been a problem.

5. Malosa

Malosa Member

I've done ALL the obvious stuff

turn virus checker off - mac
    turn firewall off - mac
    turn privacy settings off - mac
    turn virus checker off - win
    turn firewall off - win
    turn privacy settings off - win

I've turned these off/on in every combination including everything off at once and nothing works!

6. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

7. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Oops, sorry about the above.

When this happened to me I uninstalled Parallels, then re-installed using the Sharing connection selected.

Worked perfectly ever since. Hope it helps - btw, it wasn't the virus checker/ firewall etc etc

8. Malosa

Malosa Member

I am hoping I dont have to do that, as it was a palaver to register Windows by phone as I didnt have a connection to the internet, but it is in my 'to do if all else fails' box! :)

9. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Now that's the funny thing. I've registered various Windows on the phone and only ever found ' Face of Microsoft' to be incredibly helpful and understanding.

I had only registered this copy once (the day before) and it rejected me installing it into the VM after I binned Boot Camp (which I found to be frustrating when coupled with Parallels). I contacted MS and they immediately gave me a new code without hesitation.

I mean, it's a kosher copy and all you are trying to do is register the damn thing (a big HOORAY for Leopard eh?).

I dislike the monolith Windows has become, I don't dislike the people doing their job.

10. Malosa

Malosa Member

I'm stretching here, but could the mere presence of Boot Camp be upsetting Parallels? I've not even opened the app so this is a wild and wacky idea.

11. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

The main reason I binned Boot Camp was that I managed to get into a 'Registration required' (XP) loop, as if something was frozen in time. Every time I started Parallels, it 'looked' at Boot Camp but didn't pick up that XP HAD been registered.

I got really fed up, because everytime I went to register it, I couldn't. So I binned Boot Camp altogether. I don't play games on the 'puter so am VERY happy with the speed that Parallels VM runs XP. So I reclaimed the Boot Camp space and only run XP in the Virtual Machine.

I've not had a problem since. It was when I installed XP in the Virtual Machine that I had to phone Microsoft. I told them what I'd done and they 'released' my copy of XP immediately. I even 'Skyped' MS so the phone call never even cost me any money.

I also run Ubuntu 8.04 just because I can although you can't install Parallels tools yet (see elsewhere).

I am VERY happy with the interaction between OS X and XP VM as it answers all my needs - not perfect, but it's not a perfect world and Parallels are not ripping the arse out of the software in its cost. I cannot imagine Microsoft being so altruistic

12. Malosa

Malosa Member

Supportive though these posts are, I still havent been able to get online in XP via Parallels!

Anyone got any other ideas? :)

13. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

14. Malosa

Malosa Member

will that help with the problem I have of not being able to get online with Windows?

15. Malosa

Malosa Member

I have installed and still cannot receive any incoming signal! I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought Parallels!

16. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

John@parallels

Even though I am logged in, I get Access Denied trying to follow your link.

My installation works perfectly but I am following this thread as I had the same problem initially.

Thanks

17. Malosa

Malosa Member