Parallels will not shutdown Vista properly...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jhiginbotham, May 22, 2008.

1. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

I've had this problem ever since I've upgraded to build 5600 and did this because I couldn't use the build previously because Vista was winning about activation so I was stuck using vista in bootcamp. I saw that this issue was addressed but now I can't use bootcamp since parallels will not shut down Vista properly. I've searched this forum and googled the problem and have not found an answer to it. Here is the scenerio, I have a mac bookpro and use parallels for visual studio development. When I'm at work I boot straight into bootcamp so that I have maximum memmory and cpu power. When I'm at home I boot into parallels just to do minor VS things. At work I need the full machine and now I'm stuck in using Vista in parallels until this issue gets resolved. Prior to Vista going to SP1 status everything worked great as long as Parallels shutdown properly. Then SP1 came out and all sorts of problems with Parallels started, mainly activation problems, and yes I did the update in BC. I just waited for the update to parallels to fix this issue. It came out and now I'm stuck using parallels until it can be resolved. Here is what happens, I start my parallels through a bootcamp partition (Vista Ultimate) and do what I need. Go to Start -> Shutdown, like all good boys and girls should do and it does the shutdown process and when it ends, followed by an error message that states:

Boot Camp Windows XP was shut down abnormally while it was used via Parallels Desktop. Please boot into Boot Camp via Parallels Desktop once again and shut down Windows XP normally.

So I was confused that it was stating XP when in fact I'm using Vista. Either way I stated parallels again and when through the process of shuting down and got the error again. Well obviously if I start my BC partition it will not load, and so I tried and I'm right. If I go through safemode It hangs on the crcdisk.sys which I've searched here and googled and have not found any definative clear answers to this. So bottom line, I need a real answer to what is going on. This is really cutting into my productivity at work....Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

Solution!!! at least for me.

After alot of searching, a mornings worth at that. I found this post:
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=21063

It described the very same problem I was having....The most important thing was a description that was going on. I leave the link for you to look at, but the short of a long story.

If you go to msconfig and go to the boot tab, there you'll find an advanced options button, click that, you'll find a Detect HAL check box, click that, reboot using boot camp and its magically fixed...So this may be something that Parallels needs to look into, I don't know, but I'm back up and running. Enjoy.

3. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

One more point to make...

I still get this error message when I shutdown Parallels:

Boot Camp Windows XP was shut down abnormally while it was used via Parallels Desktop. Please boot into Boot Camp via Parallels Desktop once again and shut down Windows XP normally.

Once again this is a Vista install, but I can now boot into both Parallels and Bootcamp so I'm not real sure what truely going on but I bet somebody will know.

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I always shut down my VM manually from the Windows start menu

completely before shutting down my Mac OS

WinXP SP3 no bootcamp
    and almost trouble free use of my VMs for 23 months

Hugh W

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Build you used to install was not passed QA test, control passed build is released 2 days ago.
    Please reinstall Parallels Desktop

6. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

I think you misunderstood me

I've always shutdown parallels from the windows shutdown menu, I had zero problems 2 versions ago, then I updated and I had activation problems, now I have bootcamp booting problems and parallels will not shutdown propertly...I will try downloading again and installing...<crosses fingers>

7. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

Note to John...

Errr try again...That is the download I have already...I tried wipping out parallels and reinstalling and still the same problems...

8. flysi

flysi Bit poster

I've been having exactly the same problem. I just tried the HAL fix suggested in the post you linked to, and will post back with my results. Fingers crossed...

9. misterjangles

misterjangles Member

Parallels Tools

You might check to see if Parallels tools has stopped running. Sometimes you will see the icon in the taskbar, but if you mouse-over it, the icon disappears. It also has the same symptom that the OS will not shut down properly once the parallels tools process has crashed:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=19126

10. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

I just checked that and the tools is running properly from what I can tell, I wish it was the problem. It seems that the HAL fix that I mentioned above allows me to boot in using parallels and bootcamp just fine, I still get the messages but reguardless I'm able to use the OS....<shrugs> this one is above me.

11. Spencer

Spencer Junior Member

I have downloaded a new copy of build 5600 and it did not resolve my problem. I am still getting the same message as the other users when properly shutting down from the Windows Start Menu. I've attached an image of the pop up window.

JOHN -- I want to be clear. Okay, it does appear that a 2nd release of build 5600 was made on 5/9/2008, two days after the initial release. My first download is dated 5/8/2008. The current download page says the release date was 5/9/2008. Does that mean Parallels released a package without putting it through Q&A? And then a Q&A'ed package was released without an announcement and without updating any part of the version sequence? Not even the .0 sequence that I found in the Info window?

If true, that is unacceptable for this level of commercial software.

Spencer Swift

Attached Files:

12. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

This is exactly what is going on with me.

So I still haven't got the problem fixed, I've been on it for a couple of weeks now...the screen shot you posted is the exact message I get. The ironic part of all this is I'm not running XP I'm running Vista...sooo I guess the message is correct, I didn't shutdown XP correctly, lol...I did however shutdown Vista correctly...If I keep 'detect HAL' on start up checked in the system configuration, everything works, I just have to put up with the annoying warning message, but yet this tells me there is something screwy going on. Every now and then I also have to reactivate windows in bootcamp, but I guess that can be expected if it thinks there is a hardware change, I guess I'll keep plugin at it for now, go on to week three. Before long I'm gonna ask to be on the parallels payroll, lol.

13. John@Parallels

From error I can see that Windows XP is selected as OS, please select Windows Vista as OS type

14. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

I wish it was that obvious :)

John,

First off thanks for your reply, but its not that obvious, I'll include a screenshot of how I have it set in the settings. Vista is selected as the host OS, this in particular is what is driving me mad. I have checked every setting known to man and they are all pointing to Vista not XP as they should so we are right back to the drawing board.

Attached Files:

15. John@Parallels

Can you provide output from Mac OS terminal for the following command (when Parallels Desktop is stopped)
    1. diskutil list
    2. Also do you have any USB devices attached to Vista during shutdown
    if yes, please remove any USB devices and try

16. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

John,
    Here is the info you needed:

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0
    1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 116.9 Gi disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data Windows HD 31.9 Gi disk0s3

17. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

also to add...

I did have an external usb hard drive attached, so I disconnected it and booted into parallels and then shutdown vista and I still get the for mentioned xp error message.

18. John@Parallels

Thank you,
    Is it also possible to provide Windows Vista logs
    I need application and System logs as described bellow

You can manually save the events in an event log using the following procedure. In addition, certain log retention policies may save events automatically.

To archive an event log

Start Event Viewer.

In the console tree, navigate to the log you want to archive.

On the Action menu, click Save Events As.

In File name, enter a name for the archived log file.

In Save as type, select a file format, and then click Save.

Additional Considerations
    If you archive a log in .evtx file format, you can reopen it in Event Viewer.

I suggest to create ticket and submit logs there (some personal info can be revealed from there)

19. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

John,

I got my logs for you, I created a ticket but I'm not sure it went through, I haven't received any kind of confirmation.

20. jhiginbotham

jhiginbotham Member

k got a confirmation this time, the first time I sent the ticket must have not taken, so I tried again and it went through so you should have it.