Win 95 no 256 color or higher

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DougS, May 23, 2008.

1. DougS

DougS Junior Member

Running Win95 in Parallels on a host Macbook w/ Leopard. parallels is very stable and installing windows 95 worked the fist pass, unlike Qemu which required 87 install attempts before it actually worked without freezing.

The only problem is that I cannot get Win95 in paralells to acknowlegde color depth beyond 16 bit. Qemu emulated a Cirrus Logic GD 5446 VGA PCI card and as unstable as it is, at least i was able to toggle color depth in the control panel. I have tried "installing" the Cirrus card and driver in Parallels Win95, but no dice. Despite the fact that i have the correct driver and installed it 5 different ways, it runs hardware setup every time i boot, or tells me the video adapter is incorrectly configured, and even after I run the setup wizard to fix the problem, I go back to control pannel/display/settings and there's that drop box with only 16 bit color listed.

Advice?

Thanks.

2. DougS

DougS Junior Member

I should mention this is paralells desktop 3.0 build 5160 and according to the website this version supports d graphics. That means I should be able to enable 256 or higher color. please help.

3. DougS

DougS Junior Member

ok so i unstalled parallels tools into win95 and then i was able to see other color resolutions. it made me reboot so i did and now windows wont boot up!!!!! This is rediculus! I can boot win in safe mode but thats it! Any thoughs?

4. DougS

DougS Junior Member

ok so i unstalled parallels tools into win95 and then i was able to see other color resolutions. it made me reboot so i did and now windows wont boot up!!!!! This is rediculus! I can boot win in safe mode but thats it! Any thoughs?

5. DougS

DougS Junior Member

forced to give up on Parallels

I spent the better part of today trying to get this working. Hours. Parallels does not support windows 95 apparently. It was working, but without the corect color available. Installing parallels tools ruined windows. i have no idea how to get it to boot now. I find myself searching google for ways to edit the win.ini file, confid.sys files system.ini files. This is INSANE. i jsut wanted tomplay a friggin game. After HOURS of searching he net for how to fix 256 color I finally did! And the solution made windows unbootable. i dont know why it impossible to load wiondows in parallels with 256 and nhave it actually work but it is. When the trial period ends on my parallels demo i will not renew to a full version. This demo has proven to me that Parallels 3.0 is unequipped to run Windows correctly.

6. DougS

DougS Junior Member

Ahaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

After about an hour of deep research on the net I found out from the post of one accidental blogger that the Parallels Tools for Desktop 3.0 cause a failure to boot Win95 after installation! My EXACT issue!! Istarted from scratch in parallels, created a new pc reinstalled win95 and this time mounted the parallels tools as a cd rom in my virtual drive. instead of running the setup wizard, i copied the win95 video driver from the cd to the VGA card installed in windows. Rebooted and voila WIn95 up and running! God bless the children

7. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

Hi DougS,

Doing some cleanup at home, I found a box full of old PC games boxes I used to play. Right now I'd really like to play that 'Fallout' game again. It needs Windows 95 and DirectX 3.0.

You mentioned is this thread and maybe another that YOU did installed Windows 95 and running it just fine (at least 16bits colors (I guess I could live with that))

Personnaly I did not succeeded having at running Windows 95 VM. The Parallels Video driver always hang the VM, I have to reboot it in safe-mode, disable that video driver. Doing so also limit me to 640x480 16 colors.

I am running this latest Parallels Desktop Build 5608. I believe my Windows 95 is OSR2.

Thank for any input on that DougS.

N.

BTW: If you did NOT continued using Parallels Desktop what are you using? I just tried that great (at least on PC) free product VirtualBox, unfortunately it crashed my Mac each time I start the VM.