no internet connection from windows home xp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by guess2, Dec 16, 2007.

1. ziaforz

ziaforz Bit poster

May have more to do with XP settings than Parallels

Hi, I had connection on Mac side but not on XP side, then got it working (with caveat in last line below). This is what I did...

On starting Parallels, clicked on Network Adapter, and answered Yes to proceed with editing.
    Clicked on Network Adapter 1 and set radio button to Bridged Ethernet and pulled down en0: Ethernet Adapter
    Started XP with the green right arrow

Then in XP, click on Start then Control Panel then Network Connections then Local Area Connection then Properties then scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click Properties.

Click radio button for Obtain an IP address automatically
    Click radio button for Obtain DNS server address automatically

Click OK then OK then Close. This got the internet working for me.

Unfortunately though the internet now works, I have somehow lost my LAN connection to the other computers in my office. Simple adjustment I hope...

2. Chrome262

Chrome262 Bit poster

so wait you are saying the issues is with leopard?? That if you bridge to wireless on tiger its no problem. hummm. i tried leaving the parallels settings the same, and just connecting the airport and turning off the ethernet. And i have the same connection issues.

3. Chrome262

Chrome262 Bit poster

ok i found a fix:
    when hooked up to the ethernet port, under devices on the pull down menu, and network, pick either eithernet or default. If you want to use airport, and it is connected on the mac side. Then you have to switch the network adaptor to shared. If you already have this, instead of bridge then it should be automatic. Unfortunately if you have bridge it seems to work this way. So, for now, while not optimum, it works for me.
    Maybe there is a better way, but with Leopard being new, i expect these things.

4. pwigbh

pwigbh Bit poster

Here is another solution....Belkin

I brought the offending brand spanking new PBP 2.2 to my house which uses a 2Wire wireless router. Guess what? It magically works. Did some research and found that Belkin routers drop signals to Macs unless updated with a firmware. Since I now can not repeat the bug, I assume it was the Belkin router which I also installed and found other issues with networking. So I am pretty sure my issue was caused by a drop in wireless connection that the Mac could recover from but Parallels does not recover from.

Anybody at Parallels want to take a shot at my theory?

I'll update the firmware and I'll post back the outcome.

G - Los Angeles, Ca
    2x Dual G4's, PBP 15" 2.4G (Leopards and Tigers)

5. Chrome262

Chrome262 Bit poster

Thats great, but i tried at home before i added parallels and it worked before on my belkin. The issue i have now is while i got it to work, its funny how it wont integrate with the airport on bridge.

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

the issue probably can be caused by some hardware like Belkin but I suppose it is just minor settings mistakes. Actually, Mac's wireless connection is available with Shared networking. As for Bridged ethernet, some issues can happen but it should be managed to work as well.

It is great that you have the connection now, but if you have any network-related issues, please, report us.

7. Chrome262

Chrome262 Bit poster

Like i said it works well, but i am forced to switch to shared, when i go wireless. Not a big deal but with other connections on bridge it usually automatic. In theory, no matter what the mac side is doing it should just brigdge over. I do notice that at home it associates two differnet ip's. one for paralles, and one for the mac. I am assuming it does this because of the bridge connection.
    So, my question is, that even if i go under devices and pick shared, is it really shared, but bridged and shared?

8. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I tested wireless connection on my computer and the point is that it takes some time to "get" bridged ethernet connection. So it may be that you wait for a while after you set bridged via Airport. Will you try to reset the connection from shared networking to bridged (wireless adaptor), wait for a while and check for the connection?

9. Vegetsoi

Vegetsoi Bit poster

Airport/Wireless in XP Pro

I would like to use Windows XP Pro VM at school as they have a system that does not allow us to connect to the wireless network using airport in MacOSX.

However, I am having trouble connecting to the wireless system using the Windows XP Pro VM. The technician at school said he couldn't help me as he could not find the wireless network card under Device Manage in the Control Panel. I have tried bridge networking with en1:Airport/Wireless Adapter to no avail although en0: Ethernet Adapter works fine when I connect the Ethernet cable.

Please help!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  10. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

Vegetsoi, the point is that Parallels has a wireless connection via Mac's AirPort or via any external wi-fi device, not by its own. So, you won't be able to connect without them.

11. Chrome262

Chrome262 Bit poster

Wait a minute. If they have a wireless connection at all then airport should have no problems, especially airport extreme. And yes parallels runs virtual devices, they really run the mac ones.

12. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

Chrome262, did you address me or Vegetsoi? :)

13. Chrome262

Chrome262 Bit poster

sorry i was agreeing with you and talking to Vegetsoi. If his school has wireless, the airport should work, i find it works on alot of networks, and they are not mac exclusive.

14. avn

avn Bit poster

still doesn't work for me on XP or Linux

I should note that I have the latest leopard update 10.5.2 and cannot connect to the internet after its install. Interestingly this occurs with both my XP professional, and my MintLinux install. Both connected just fine before the update however.

I should note that I am not necessarily blaming leopard, but this is the last major change to my system that I have done before I noticed my XP and linux internet failures through parallels.

I am running parallels 5584.

15. yarand

yarand Bit poster

Wireless network adaptor not found under Parallels 3

Just purchased a MacBook (black).
    1st I loaded Boot Camp and then successfully installed XP Pro, although it will not run games at present as it can't find 3D graphics - I guess that's an issue for a different forum.
    2nd I then purchased and installed Parallels 3 and successfully installed XP Pro on a separate virtual machine (to avoid the many conflicts with Boot Camp that I've read about). XP Pro seems to run fine in this VM mode, except that there is no wireless adaptor found in system hardware and hence I am unable to activate XP Pro or to access any other internet.
    Any suggestions as to how to rectify this?
    Thanks.

16. Malosa

Malosa Member

No outgoing connection with XP Home on Leopard

After reading through this long thread, I have to report that on a clean, first install of Parallels 3.0 (accepting all defaults) onto Leopard, and an equally clean first install of XP Home (accepting all defaults), and an awful lot of fiddling around, XP's internet connection wizard tells me it is connected via a LAN with an ip address but it cannot receive any data. It seems to be able to send packets but not to receive any.

In a moment of madness I tried sending myself a test email, just to see whether that level of info was getting through but no luck. I've turned my NetBarrier settings to Off but still nothing gets through. Everything is saying 'cannot connect to the internet'.

I'm obviously connected via the mac :) but I'm baffled as to why the guest OS has this problem.

I've tried all the network adapter settings, and though XP is claiming it is connected via the host-only option in Parallels and it is saying it is working on a LAN or High Speed internect connection it doesnt receive any incoming signals. I've also tried it with and without Windows firewall settings on but still no incoming signal.

17. mateopucu

mateopucu Bit poster

Me also, same problem. Ugh.

I have the same problem here. My connection on my VM works 50% of the time, on the mac works 100% of the time. I tried all the fixes suggested here to no avail. Ugh.

18. Malosa

Malosa Member

please can i have a translation into English?

19. SamCritch

SamCritch Bit poster

Hi,

I had a load of issues like this, and then suddenly my Mac wouldn't get an IP address from my wifi network at all. I did a bit of digging and found out that unless you turn off your firewall in Leopard (System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall -> "allow all connections")then DHCP is blocked.

I turned off the firewall, and, hey presto, DHCP also worked in my copy of Windows XP in Parallels! Problem solved.

Here are some links to the general Apple issue:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1321078&tstart=-8
    http://forums.macnn.com/92/networking/354906/leopard-self-assigning-ip-not-picking/

I find it amazing that this blocks DHCP!

Thanks, Sam

20. Malosa

Malosa Member

Thanks Sam, but it didnt work for me. When I checked in Windows' Control Panel at the Advanced tab of the Configure tab of the Network Connections I found there was no value in the IP address (I think it was). Clicking the empty box gave a series of 0s, but entering my IP addr from the Apple wasn't an option as there was not enough space. Yet holding the 0 down gave a longer string (w/out periods) than my IP had got *with* periods!