Always Prompted for Password

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by mskopel, May 23, 2008.

1. mskopel

mskopel Bit poster

Hello,

I suspect this may be an OS X issue but every time I start Windows through Parallels, I am prompted to enter my system password. Is there some way to turn this off?

Thanks.

2. shewhorn

shewhorn Bit poster

I'm going to venture a guess that you've set up your machine with an admin account and a user account and are launching parallels from a user account. This is my config and I have the same issue. I've noticed that Parallels unmounts the drive that Windows is installed on and if you're using it from a regular user account and not the admin account that it was installed from this would account for one of the password requests (I get two). It is a bit annoying. Not sure of the solution.

3. JNieves

JNieves Junior Member

For what it's worth, I run from an admin account and I get the password prompt too; the unmounting of the Windows drive is what needs the password.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It is normal - because unmount operations can perform only root or user in sudoers group.
    Even if you have administration right , for every sensitive operation Mac asks password

5. FireClown

FireClown Member

If this is an issue with needing to unmount the bootcamp drive from the Mac OS, is there any way to prevent it from mounting in the first place?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

No, it is not possible- Parallels Desktop needs to gain full access to device to boot VM

7. toolznglue

toolznglue Bit poster

Password req'd when starting XP

I've done a bit of sleuthing and am curious whether or not removing the comment from the %wheel line in /private/etc/sudoers would allow me to start a Parallels-7 virtual machine with Windows XP and not require entering a password?

# Same thing without a password
    # %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

-- Jerry