Support for USB/serial adapter (like keyspan USA-19H)

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by fabriceg, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Onkel_T

Onkel_T Bit poster

I have a keyspan serial USA-19HS. I've installed the driver in XP. Using the keyspan assistent and testing the device is OK. If i use a app to use the device it seems to work and then fails. If i test the device in the assistant it fails. Disconnect and connect the device, using the assistant and the test is OK. But if i use the device it blocks and a new test fails.
    I will test the SerialClient now!

2. Onkel_T

Onkel_T Bit poster

Yesterday i tried SerialClient and worked well. I've had a problem do a connect with SerialClient but after running the VM, connect function works.

Thanks for using SerialClient!!

3. transco

transco Member

I went to your web site, but can only fine V0.1. Could you please post a link to V0.6? Thanks!

4. jodell

jodell Bit poster

Access Garmin ETrex/KeyspanUSB with Parallels

Parallels build 3188
    Windows side:
    Windows 2000 SP4
    Garmin ETrex Legend Firmware 2.41
    MapSource software 3.02
    DON'T INSTALL WINDOWS KEYSPAN DRIVERS!!!

Mac side
    Keyspan USA19 (USB-serial PDA adapter)
    Keyspan driver 2.3 for Mac OS X
    http://www.keyspan.com/downloads-files/usa/macosx/KeyspanUSBSerialv23.zip
    SerialClient v 0.10 (FYI this is newer than v0.9)

First run Parallels, and edit VM configuration to add a serial port socket as server.
    Launch Win2000.
    Then launch SerialClient and select the same path to the serial socket as you did in Parallels.
    Launch the MapSource software. You should be able to get the unit ID to verify the connection.

Worked very well for me.

5. akldb

akldb Bit poster

serial port for parallels

I also failed to get a Keyspan USA-19HS to work under parallels and found the serial client software devoid of instructions on how to use it. However, my Netport ethernet to RS232 adaptor works fine (from Alpha Micro), although the Lantronix set up software won't run, so I had to do the set up on a real PC. What a shame Parallels can't sort out the USB port properly. I want to use it with my fitness bug but it won't work.

6. akldb

akldb Bit poster

My Japanese is not up to this and nor is Yahoo's translator

7. loa

loa Bit poster

I am so sick of this. Parallels is such a sham. It seems to work, then it doesn't. When you need it, it doesn't deliver. Why is parallels staff recommending we download a 3rd party product to get a simple serial adapter working? Why is every USB connection a total nightmare? Why does something work in one version but not the next? Why does even attempting to use the Keyspan kill the mac's networking?

Parallel's motto might be: "A way to get really frustrated before running real Windows."

8. jamb

jamb Bit poster

map virtual serial port to USB?

It appears I have Serial Client in Leopard connecting fine to XP Pro which is running within Parallels. Since the Keyspan USA-19H device is connected to a USB port in the virtual XP, it displays under the XP's USB icon at the bottom of the screen. If the Keyspan device is selected as "active", Serial Client doesn't see it. If I deselect the Keyspan adapter from the USB menu (ie. deactivate it), Serial Client can then "see" the Keyspan adapter. Unfortunately in neither case, can I communicate with my device. I keep getting a message similar to "device not found".

Do I need to somehow map the virtual serial port to the USB port, or map the virtual serial port to COM1? The device I am trying to communicate with supports communication over COM1-COM6. If mapping needs to be done, what are the steps to do so? Thanks in advance...

9. Carl Blake

Carl Blake Bit poster

Parallels is pretty useless

All I want to know is what USB to serial adapter will work with my Macbook and Parallels with Win XP. Pretty much the ONLY thing you use Windows for is connecting to serial devices and the odd program that does not run natively on the Mac. So I call Parallels office and the first person told me that she would be happy to get me a license or box but would not help me. After 4 more phone calls I got someone different. She finally said that Parallels does not support ANY serial to usb device on the Mac. WTF....A SIMPLE EASY thing to do and yet they don't even support it and can't tell me even a work around.

What shit software. I have bought so many copies of this crap that I can't believe it. Half the printers don't work, you can't print from the Mac until you release it from the PC and vice versa, the bugs are relentless and now they can't and won't even tell me ONE option to use the serial device. I use Windows XP to configure serial devices all day long and now I find out that I can't even use it at all.

Sorry but your software sucks and so does your phone hell.

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

11. akldb

akldb Bit poster

There are other USB devices than printers and keyspan RS232 devices. What we need is a universal solution to the USB device problem not a different solution for each device.

I am off on holiday soon and will have to take both my regular Mac and an old PC laptop just to download data from my fitbug. I can't run bootcamp under Tiger and have no wish to upgrade to leaopard; it's a shame parallels doesn't offer a solution.

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Keyspan problem is not Parallels problems, drivers exactly shutdown Network Interfaces,
    Do you mind, why Com port software should kill Network interfaces?

13. akldb

akldb Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

14. akldb

akldb Bit poster

I have just installed VMware Fusion which is much like Parallels but my USB fitbug worked straight away with no hassel.
    So I am going to see if it behaves better for other software.