Upgrade Notification - upgrade hung, now I can't print

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Deb Colgan, May 23, 2008.

1. Deb Colgan

Deb Colgan Junior Member

Hi there,

I got a popup window from Parallels yesterday about downloading and installing an upgrade. I downloaded "Parallels-Desktop-5600-Mac-en.dmg" and then after download it asked me if I wanted to use the install package or feature, something like that so I clicked yes. My computer immediately hung up and shortly after that I found after that I could no longer print in Win/Parallels.

This morn I tried double clicking the .dmg file indicated above to try the upgrade again and it's telling me it's (the file I guess) not recognized.

I need to get this fixed as I'm desperate to print in Windows - my billing program is there! What to do?

Thanks,
    Deb

2. shewhorn

shewhorn Bit poster

I've had the same experience with the upgrade. It notifies me that 3.0.56 is available, I click the button, it downloads it, it asks if it wants me to install and then Parallels is completely frozen. In the activity monitor there is no indication that anything is being done (processor load close to zero) and Parallels appears in the activity monitor as "not responding". I had to force quit after waiting about 15 minutes.

After attempting this update, even after force quitting my computer will periodically show full load for about 10 seconds on all 8 cores and the fans will spool up to full speed yet there is NOTHING in the activity monitor that reveals what process is being used. I went to command line terminal and did a ps aux to get a more comprehensive list of processes but that yielded the same results... no indication of WHAT was using all that power.

I haven't tried printing yet.

Cheers, Joe

3. Deb Colgan

Deb Colgan Junior Member

Looks to me like tech support needs to see this issue. I'm going to contact them sending them a link to this thread. I need this fixed!

Deb

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

This happened to me.

After force-quitting to get out of the hang, I went into Parallels but did not start the VM. I clicked Help/Check for Updates. This also caused a hang.

So in this forum, go to announcements, and click on the post announcing the upgrade. Click on the link. You will have to put in your email and password. Then you will get a diskimage download. Install from the diskimage and it will work.

At least it did for me.

You will also have to reinstall Parallels Tools. It will prompt you for this.

5. Deb Colgan

Deb Colgan Junior Member

This worked for me, thank you. I wasn't happy with the length of time it took to complete, never expected to have to perform all the extras found here:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790

But I'm happy I can print in Win again, thanks very much.

Deb