USB device in use by mac (Logitech Harmony remote)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by emailists, May 29, 2006.

1. emailists

emailists Bit poster

I am trying to set up my Harmony 890 universal AV remote with a Win XP client program.

The problem is when I connect the remote via USB, I see the remote listed in the
    Parellels USB device menu, but
    I get a message that says

USB Device is being used by another process - wait 10 seconds, find application that blocked up device......

The OSX system profiler sees it as well, but no mac application has a hold of it, nor does it mount on the drive like a drive.

How can I get Paralles to use the device - or maybe the key is to get OSX to not see the device. I have paralles tools installed.

2. organik

organik Member

I have no problem configuring my harmony remote with safari in os x...is there a reason you want to use XP?

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Please wait for RC2 - there will be number of USB fixes in it.

4. Curlypaws

Curlypaws Bit poster

I managed to get the Harmony Remote to work by not plugging it in until Parallels was booted (I had to restart XP to get past the "in use" message). However, the update was error prone - sometimes causing XP to blue screen with a USB error. I had to use Boot Camp in the end as otherwise it just screwed up the Harmony remote.

As to why you'd want to do this - there is no version of the Logitech software that currently works under OS X with an Intel Mac (although I understand that Logitech are working on it and I've heard that some beta versions have been spotted).

Although, there seems to be an updated version at:
    http://members.harmonyremote.com/EasyZapper/Help/Help_Topic.asp?HelpTopic=WhatsNew

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  5. emailists

emailists Bit poster

There is a stand alone client to program Harmony in Win XP so you dont have to use the browser - supposedlt it's better than the browser version???

6. organik

organik Member

ahhh...spoke too soon - I programmed my harmony from a dual g5 running safari....