Display problems with Leopard update 10.5.3

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by aidan, May 28, 2008.

1. aidan

aidan Member

I've just updated to Leopard 10.5.3 and on re-starting my virtual machines (running XP Pro) the display is having real problems updating correctly. I am getting strips of updated screen and flickering sections and strips. It's hard to make out what I have pressed and what's going on. Same problems after a re-start of the virtual machine, but after a few minutes the display seems to settle down. I'll keep monitoring to see if the problem returns.

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

I have had this problem with the previous seeds. It happens more often when the parallel VM was set to display in full screen. As soon as I make sure, I always set it back to single window before quitting, the problem has disappeared.

I'll have to test it with the final 10.5.3 before sending a bug report to Parallel.

3. aidan

aidan Member

This was single window. I don't use full screen.

4. Airw0lf

Airw0lf Junior Member

I had the same problem since I updated to 10.5.3 today. But i had it only once. After I restarted the windows machine it was gone... strange..

5. sbohm

sbohm Bit poster

Hi folks,

same problem here. I had the VM suspended before upgrading to 10.5.3 yesterday. After waking up the VM, I got strange display errors. Rebooting the windows within the VM fixed the problem.

Stefan

6. Ed A.

Ed A. Bit poster

I'm also noticing the display problem. Rebooting Windows in the VM will only temporarily fix the problem. I'm using the newest version of Parallels Desktop for Mac running on a MBP with OS10.5.3.

7. kemelv

kemelv Bit poster

I am running MAC OS X and have Parallels Desktop 3.0 with Windows XP. I've never had any problems until yesterday. I installed update 10.5.3 last night and now Parallels won't open. I get the message "Parallels Desktop quit unexpectedly". Any suggestions?

8. macerix

macerix Bit poster

I'm noticed similar problems after upgrade to 10.5.3. My context: iMac 2.4, Parallels Desktop 3.0, build 5584 (German localized version) with Windows XP Home, SP3.

The VM was suspended before the update. Running it caused strange graphical effects and 'flickering', apparently the title bars of windows disappear temporarly or refreshing of window parts doesn't work properly. The problems appeared both in single window and coherance mode. Full screen seems to work. Rebooting the VM solved the problem only temporarily. Having more overlapping windows makes it even worse.

9. geeves

geeves Bit poster

Solution for 10.5.3 update

Same flickering experienced. Downloaded build 5600, have to run parallels tools again to fix the flickering on my MBP 10.5.3

10. honkzilla

honkzilla Bit poster

General Slowdown after 10.5.3

I'm not having the flickering video problem, but my entire system slows down, including Mac apps (Safari and Mail in particular) while Parallels is running. After shutting down Parallels, everything recovers. The slowdown is quite noticeable and only occurs while Parallels is running. I only run Windows XP and Vista in VMs, and the slowdown occurs under both VMs.

11. FrankBradley

FrankBradley Bit poster

Today I have done the same as everybody else and upgraded my MBP (2.4ghz, 4gig) to 10.5.3. After the restart and the initial launch of my WinXP VM the same video corruptions occurred but since the restart of the VM (was suspended) the video issue is gone and I operate in Full Screen mode and single window with no issues.

As to the performance issue I have not experienced that yet but right now a number of key applications I use daily are running (Mail, Safari, Omnis Studio 4.3 & 4.2, MySQL Admin with server, NeoOffice, Journler, Adium, Skype) running and within the VM it has Omnis Classic (development tool), and VS 2005.

So I guess I am one of the lucky people who is does not experience the same levels of issues with the product. :)

Frank

12. geeves

geeves Bit poster

Second guessing the OS X upgrade

The flicker has come back.
    Symptoms are - IE opens, then flashes between 2 windows, in alternate timing. SO, it is like a on/off flashing between window elements, like a single graphic or login field.

Basically, if you rely on parallels to do work, not just for fun, don't upgrade OS X to 10.5.3 until the flickering/video mode is fixed by Parallels.

looking forward to build 5601...

13. Airw0lf

Airw0lf Junior Member

yeah they will fix this in a newer build and the localized version users have to wait a few more months to get updated :(
    this process suxx!!!

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  14. Airw0lf

Airw0lf Junior Member

uh yeah by the way i found a workaround which works at least for me.
    if flickering begins you'll have to start a dos prompt by clicking start - run - cmd

after the dos prompt appears press ALT-ENTER do get it into fullscreen mode - flickering is gone. press again ALT-ENTER to get the dos prompt into windowed mode again and type "exit" -> flickering gone!

you can also force the flickering by open parallels options (I'm using full-screen mode on a second display)

@parallels-team: can i switch my german licence key into an english one please, so i can use the current releases like 5600 or higher

15. mr.oops

mr.oops Bit poster

Also see thread "Leopard 10.5.3". :)

My own experience: MacBook Pro (2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB), running Parallels Desktop build 5582, Win XP SP2. After updating to OS 10.5.3 the flickering started in Parallels Desktop. To be more specific, flickering between current, and a previous moment of Windows. I run Parallels Desktop in Single Window view.

Although I noticed a workaround is to switch to an application outside Parallels Desktop (e.g. Finder), and switch back, it happens often, and is very annoying. Makes me switch a lot, or click on the wrong positions. Expecting the problem to arise from my old build, I installed the current build (5600). No change in the situation, unfortunately.

Did anyone see or get a reply from Parallels or Apple regarding this issue? Some confirmation of the issue would be nice :) If needed, I don't mind reporting more details about my system or on how to reproduce.

16. ropi

ropi Bit poster

flickering

on macbook pro and guest system win2000 I had success with reinstalling Parallels tools (first shut down guest system, choose "prepare installing parall.tools" then start guest system and choose install parallels tools).
    After upgrade to 10.5.3 I had already installed Parallels (5600) again.
    Hope it helps.

17. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are investigating this problem now

18. DrKarl

DrKarl Member

I just experienced this issue for the first time - and it must be related to the 10.5.3 update, since that's the only thing new on my system. I have not applied build 5600 of Parallels yet because of the issues reported in the networking thread.

I wouldn't call this flickering, but rather display corruption. In Quicken, indeed some dialog boxes did flicker or flash visible/invisible after having clicked on a button (as mentioned above - one has no idea where one is anymore at this point). But, even after closing Quicken, rectangular segments of the previous Quicken screen appeared here and there on my desktop.

Reports are that 10.5.3 included certain graphics updates - other manufacturers mentioned that their software would not work properly until 10.5.3 was applied. Apparently those same graphics updates cause the Parallels virtual display adapter to have problems...

All of the above in case it helps you with your investigations, John.

Karl

19. davidhnet

davidhnet Bit poster

20. Jerry

Jerry Member

Thank goodness!

I feel like I'm on a bad acid trip while in windows at the moment...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008