I get a blank screen once Parallels starts Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jkmcn69, May 30, 2008.

1. jkmcn69

jkmcn69 Bit poster

I start the Parallels desktop on the second side of my 'cube' through Virtue Desktops. Parallels opens its start screen, I click on the green arrow to start Windows. It looks like it is beginning the session and then I get nothing, not even an error message. I have no start menu, no recycle bin and no response!

It was working perfectly last week.

2. DougS

DougS Junior Member

Are you running Win95 by any chance? Did you install Parallels Tools into the guest OS? What you are describing is exactly what happened to me running Win95 after I installed Parallels tools. Turn on virtual PC and it says "Starting Windows 95.." then goes to a black screen and stays there forever.

This is a known problem, and I have a thread about this a few pages down but noone seems to offer any advice. I worked around this by reinstalling Windows in a fresh virtual PC. Then, instead of installing parallels tools, I manually installed the video driver from thr vm tools disk image. i am able to boot up Windows with the improved video settings, but I am unable to manually install the Parallels sound driver (it's not on the disk image) so Im stuck with either no sound, or a generic soundblaster 16 driver that doesn't work well under Parallels (pops and crackles in the sound and freezes some aps when enabled). I guess there's no way o sucessfully run Win95 in Parallels, even though they claim it. All I know is I only want to run Windows to play a few games I have and I have no desire to buy a newer version of Windows to do so. When the trial period ends on my parallels demo i won't be purchasing the full version. Whats the point? It doesn't do what it says it does. They should offer an isolated download of their AC97 sound driver for manual install in Win95.

3. jkmcn69

jkmcn69 Bit poster

I'm actually running Windows XP and Parallels Tools was automatically installed when I installed Windows.

Can you tell me what the following is? 'I manually installed the video driver from thr vm tools disk image.' I don't know what this is or how to do it.

I will try to re-install. Thanks for your help.

4. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

My first attempt at Windows 95 installation ended-up with that blank-screen problem (possibly due to Parallels Video driver, as disabling it permitted me to start the VM but with limited 640x480 in 16 colors)

I am running build 5608 of Parallels Desktop.

I did installed the Parallels tools. Disabling and re-installing the Parallels video driver also caused the black-blank-hangeg screen so I pretty much abandoned that installation.

I tried another time from fresh and blank HDD. Installing Windows 95 OSR2. That time everything went mostly perfect ( beside some hanging after installation finished and Windows was supposed to reboot). After that hanging, I rebooted Windows 95 normally, installed Parallels Tools without problems.

The VM does not hang on shutting down (as mentionned from older Parallels Desktop version )
    The sound is not very great though, it cracks, pops.

5. yodomino6

yodomino6 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem. I'm running 10.5.4 and Windows XP with BootCamp. Windows boots fine in BootCamp, but when I start Parallels I see the Windows boot screen for a few seconds, then it just goes blank and sits there.

Anybody find a solution for this?

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Delete Boot Camp folder from Documents/Parallels (make sure there is no other important data), start Parallels Desktop and it will create new VM