Leopard 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aderium, May 30, 2008.

1. aderium

aderium Bit poster

I hace an sybol mc50 [ Microsoft Mobile PC] connected via activesync, the usb + activesync seems to start lots of the flickering for me

2. Old Marine

Old Marine Member

10.5.3 results like others on this thread

MBP C2D 2.16GhZ/2 GB - running 10.5.2/Parallels 5584 with XP SP2 - Typically only VM applications I run are Outlook and IE 6.1. Read the posts here before updating to 10.5.3, so did a full back up (Carbon Copy Cloner) and then updated to 10.5.3. As soon as the update was completed and I started my Parallels desktop and opened Outlook I experienced various video problems (flickering, ghosting, etc.) similar to those reported by others in this thread. Most prevalent was multiple options randomly highlighted in pulldown menus within Outlook that constantly changed.

Having been down this path with past problems from previous updates (both Mac updates and Parallels updates) I elected to fall back to my original configuration and not tempt fate by trying to load Parallels 5600 as a way to potentially resolve this problem. (which it appears not to solve based on comments by some in this thread)

Am going to wait this one out until a fix is made available from Parallels, who appears to me to own this problem. Suspect that I will be monitoring this thread for a while waiting for that update..

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are investigating this problem now
    Please wait

4. John@Parallels

I have specially tested Windows XP and Windows Vista
    You need to install build 5600, and reinstall Parallels Tools in Windows Vm.
    There should be no problem.

5. John@Parallels

One more addition.
    Problem is only appearing when connecting USB devices.
    Please let me know if there are other cases

6. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

Running XP SP2 under build 5600, flickering of windows menus and everything on the desktop quite badly. Mainly immediately after opening. Seems isolated to window and coherence modes.
    Going fullscreen then back to window mode sometimes helps.
    Running 10.5.3.
    Updated both Parallels and OS X about the same time so I don't know what triggered the problem.

Nothing USB except mouse and keyboard connected.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  7. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks John,

This seems to have fixed it for me on my MacBook Pro. I already had 5600 on it so I uninstalled it and re-installed it, and reinstalled Parallels tools.

My MacPro with 10.5.3 and 5600 has had no problems. Perhaps not surprising as it's graphics related. MacPro is 2006 model with recent new ATI 2600 card.

Mike

8. santa

santa Junior Member

I did a reinstall of Parallel Tools and following that I did a restart of XP, I unplugged my USB speakers and saw no problem. Then I plugged them in and BOOM! ghosting and problems. I didn't connect the idea of USB and ghosting previously so that's a simple workaround until a final fix is figured out. Thanks for the tip.

9. Old Marine

Old Marine Member

John,

Appreciate your update and trouble shooting. It appears however that if the specific configuration being supported has USB dependencies (like mine - Treo USB connected to Palm Desktop as well as USB driven wireless mouse) the workaround detailed will not resolve the problem. Can I assume that Parallels is continuing to trouble shoot and isolate this problem and intends to produce a more complete solution that enables full use of USB devices with both 10.5.3 and Parallels 5600?

Thanks

10. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

Removed and reinstalled Parallels 5600. Reinstalled Parallels tools.

Still the same.

A fix is urgently needed. This is a major major problem for business use.
    Looking though the threads this has been an issue for some time now and now the ones not having problems are having problem post 10.5.3. http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=18611

Might have to reconsider if using Parallels instead VMware was the correct choice.

11. maztec

maztec Member

Graphic glitches are a known issue with 10.5.3 and unrelated to Parallels.

12. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

Documented where?

13. santa

santa Junior Member

you'll have to be more specific than that, maztec. It's obvious the glitches are related (ie associated or connected) to parallels unless you use a dictionary from the bizarro world or something. Whether it's Parallels code or OSX code causing the problem I don't know, but since they manifest themselves only when I am running parallels, they're clearly related to parallels. I have no such issues with any other app at any other time.

14. Fireguy

Fireguy Member

I re-installed tools and still see severe graphic issues in Outlook. BOTH on a Mac Pro desktop and MacBook Pro... NO USB devices on the book, only mouse/keyboard on the desktop.

15. santa

santa Junior Member

so we know in many cases it is dependant upon USB connections and in other cases USB plays no part. The scary thing is this has apparently been an issue since Dec. 07. Either the parallels team has been working on this for half a year unsucessfully, or they have been ignoring it for half a year. Either way, this is apparently an old issue somehow excacerbated by 10.5.3. Given the reality that this is a 6 month old problem (John...these threads ARE related, aren't they?) I'm going to have to look for other solutions unless John and the parallels team are ready to announce a fix. Gentlemen ?

16. dylan214u

dylan214u Bit poster

Having same video issues as others on this board. Had no problems prior to 10.5.3!

17. rft

rft Member

There definitely is a problem. After installing 10.5.3 on my MacBook Pro (2 year old, orginal MBP), flickering started in 5584. I upgraded to 5600. Flickering remained. I now
    unistalled Parallels Tools and reinstalled them still the same flickering.

Just To give you some more input:
    On my computer the flickering starts with the first graphical windows boot screen (the one with the windows flag and the blue progress indicator). It gets worse afterwards: the screen shows only that portions that have been recently updated with new content. These will disappear shortly therafter and go black. When the Parallels Tools are not installed, its actually bit easier to work, since then the mouse pointer is handled within windows, and then a horizontal strip the height of the mouse pointer is visible, the rest of the screen is black. With Parallels Tools installed, only the updated portions of the screen are shortly visible, then go to black again.

I am seriously considering VMWare now, if this is not fixed ASAP.

Robert F. Tobler

18. rft

rft Member

Btw. If you look back in my posting history, you will find, that I had the very same problem with versions 5540 and 5570 (both on the inital Leopard 10.5.0).

Robert F. Tobler

19. mfkilgore

mfkilgore Member

I too am seeing the serious screen flicker. I have been using Parallels for over a year now and have not ever noticed this problem. Tried reinstall, still no luck. The problem has only started, at least in my case, with 10.5.3 update last week.
    OS X - 10.5.3
    Parallels - 5600
    Guest - Windows 2003

Again no screen flicker problem before 10.5.3, while there may be a previous related issue this one is definetly new and needs to be resolved quickly!

20. ewestby

ewestby Member

Have folks tried upping the virtual machine's VRAM to 64MB? I reinstalled Parallels Tools in XP, rebooted, then upped the VM's VRAM, and things are better. I've only been using it for half an hour, but perhaps this might mitigate the flickering for others until a fix is available.

(Of course after I post this, the flicker will no doubt return....)