MacBook Pro Freeze after Firmware Update 5/17

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by wp29, May 18, 2006.

1. wp29

wp29 Bit poster

Received the slew of updates from Apple last night that included (I believe) Security Update for Intel Based Macs and a Firmware Update.

Following the Firmware update and subsequent restart, my MacBook Pro would startup for about 30 secs and then freeze. Could move the pointer witht he track pad but nothing else. Could not click on anything.

Worked with Apple Support today, resoultion was to remove all Startup Items including removing the MacHD\Library\StartupItems Folder.

I mention all of this because, the StartupItems Folder contains a Parallels folder with 3 files:
    Parallels
    prl_dhcpd
    StartupParameters.plist

My machine appears to be working ok now, but I have not tried to startup Parallels yet. I wanted to post this prior to that test in the even I experience subsequent problems. I'll post the results of that test shortly.

Any ideas if the updates from last night and Paralells are related in causing this issue?

2. wp29

wp29 Bit poster

Received the following when attempting to launch parallels.
    Should I re-install?
    Will I encounter the issues again?

Parallels Workstation is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Workstation.

3. dirk@hohndel.org

dirk@hohndel.org Member

Just as a data point - running Beta6(w/ hotfix) and did all the Apple updates; no problems whatsoever. Parallels even started a suspended VM afterwards.

4. cyberchucktx

cyberchucktx Junior Member

Parallels Desktop reinstallation required after firmware upgrade on MacbookPro

All:

I, too, got a message from Parallels Desktop saying that it was missing some required drivers.

This after I applied the brand-new Firmware upgrade from Apple to my Macbook Pro.

Re-installing Parallels Desktop cleared the problem.

Just for good measure I attempted to re-install the Parallels Tools under XP as well. I got a message asking if I wanted to *de-install* the parallels tools, I said "no".

System appears to be running smoothly (no glitches --- keyboard / mouse / network all working properly).

Another data point for this issue.

Charlie

5. wp29

wp29 Bit poster

Recreated MacHD\Library\StartupItems\Parallels Folder.
    Downloaded RC
    Uninstalled Beta6
    installed RC
    Everything working so far for the past 4 to 6 hours using OSX and WinXP apps heavily back and forth. :)

6. MacUser

MacUser Member

The same thing for me, after a firmware upgrade of my MBP I had to reinstall Parallels, then no problems.
    I am curious about the behavior of the Release Candidate. Will it be stabele, full support USB ?
    We will see.
    Regards Wim.

7. fredchan

fredchan Junior Member

freeze macbook pro except mouse

hi,
    i experience same freeze of macbook pro except mouse that can still move.
    I cannot even force quit, except with extinction button.
    It happens about once a day.
    If someone has an idea.
    Applecare support told me to reinstall mac or, if it still freezing, send back the macbook pro to change the motherboard....:mad:

8. dombi

dombi Bit poster

I have the following workaround. Close the lid and put the computer to sleep. It might take a few minutes. Once it is asleep open the lid and wake it up, you might still have to wait about 30 seconds, but it usually works. If it does not work the first time, try again. It usually works the second time for me.

This is not a solution though. This is still very annoying. Remving the running Parallels kext files and killing the prl_dhcpd process seems to solve the problem.

Also, try to run the following command in the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo fs_usage
    This shows the file system activity. Notice that "prl_dhcpd" is paging the system all the time, even when Parallels and the VM are not running. I don't think this is correct....

9. joem

joem Forum Maven

If I kill prl_dhcpd, everything still works just fine using bridged networking via airport. I think running it should be an option. Those who have other DHCP servers don't need it, nor do those who aren't using networking (perhaps rare but still...)

10. pilif

pilif Junior Member

Hi,

I had the locking myself. The problem is something withing Rosetta and the Acrobat Distiller driver. I fixed it by booting in Safe-Mode (hold shift during boot), opening the printer setup utility and selecting "Reset printing system" from the application menu.

This locking up is NOT parallels related.

Philip