Can 2.0 video driver be installed on 3.0?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by swarf_rat, Mar 5, 2008.

1. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

I have had continuing problems with display artifacts while running a CAM program called OneCNC, also a couple of other programs which I assume use OpenGL. This started with 3.0 and continues into the latest build, rendering the product unusable for me. I have had to revert to the 3214 build, Parallels is uninterested in fixing this corner case. After reading some of the other video problem threads, I tried all combinations of acceleration settings in both Parallels and Windows, if you turn the Windows acceleration down low enough the artifacts go away but the display pretty much stops working entirely at that point.

The only thing that has worked is to uninstall the Parallels video driver. That causes some other problems too, but the artifacts are gone. I am wondering if the last 2.5 video driver can be installed on 3.0, since it seemed to work. Can it be done and how would I go about trying it?

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Swarf_rat,

We are sorry for the delay with the fix.

You can not install the older video driver on Parallels 3.0, unfortunately. The program changes that has been made since the previous version don't let using drivers of the 2.5 version.

Did you try to minimize Acceleration level in Windows Desktop properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Troubleshoot?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. swarf_rat

swarf_rat Member

As I said in the post, I tried every combination of acceleration settings, both in Parallels, and in the Windows>Display>settings>advanced>troubleshoot. In the latter, by going down to near the bottom the artifacts go away, but so does the animation and nearly all of the screen updates, making the whole thing unuseable. Changing any setting in Parallels has no effect at all. Disabling the driver fixes it, but you end up with a bunch of other problems: cursor oddities, can't go from full screen to window and back without major trouble, etc.

I did try to keep the 2.5 driver installed, but the Tools installer script in 3 won't let me do it.

The artifacts are a random rapid flickering of toolbars, scroll bars, etc while a machine toolpath is being animated (I think with OpenGL) in the animation window. I have another program using OpenGL, it suffers as well though a bit differently.

2.5 worked just fine, but now I can't update to OSX 10.5 because 2.5 won't run?

Until they get all these problems sorted out, can we just have a simple video driver that takes care of business but doesn't get sick? No point in fancy, when the basics don't work.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Swarf_rat,

This problem is entered into a bug report. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. JohnnyGTO

JohnnyGTO Junior Member

My Father has the similar problem running Peachtree on XP. We found that resizing the Parallels screen with the mouse fixed it for a while.