Can't complete XP-SP2 installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by japanime, May 30, 2006.

1. japanime

japanime Junior Member

I'm trying to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 using Parallels RC. Once the installer reaches the point where it says 24 minutes are remaining in the installation, the installer hangs. I've tried three times now, and each time it hangs.

What, if anything, might I be doing wrong?

2. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

When I had this problem, parallels tech support said to install from a .iso file -- that worked great for me. See if that works!

3. constant

constant Forum Maven

From memory that is around device installation time. Make sure that all your devices are setup correctly in Parallels. Check device locations, the whole bit.

4. japanime

japanime Junior Member

OK, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

5. japanime

japanime Junior Member

Thanks, I will check this as well.

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

Just had to do an XP install. At 25 minutes it is "copying files" this lasts until about 24 minutes 10 seconds, when it says "completing installation", which lasts until 22 minutes when it starts to install desktop stuff.

Unfortunately, that probably only creates more questions. Like, what files are being copied? Or, how do you complete an installation with 24 minutes to go?

7. japanime

japanime Junior Member

This is an update to my original post.

After several failed attempts, I gave up on RC1 and uninstalled it. I then installed Beta 6, and was able to complete an XP installation without any difficulties at all. I then reinstalled RC1, and am able to run the XP installation originally created with Beta 6.

For some reason, RC1 simply didn't want to install XP on my machine (black Macbook).

I see that RC2 has been released, so I'm going to try to install XP using that (just to see if I can--the XP installation from Beta 6 is working just fine).

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  8. japanime

japanime Junior Member

No problems at all installing XP under RC2. Worked perfectly.