Parallels, Video memory error, and windowserver.log

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dereed999, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Dear all,

Thank you for your reports. We can emphasize these key problems:

Video memory error message arises when working on Mac for a long time or leaving it for long / into sleep mode;

Coherence freezes Leopard when working for a long time;

Impossible to display windows in MSN (the same issue with ICQ - they have similar interfaces).

All these are known issues that are being investigated and will be fixed. We do remember about them. We are sorry for these problems.

Best regards,
    Xenos

2. twynne

twynne Hunter

Is Parallels any closer to a fix for this issue, as I've basically had to abandon the use of Coherence altogether because it renders my machine too unstable.

3. twynne

twynne Hunter

Well it looks like this hasn't been resolved in the latest version, and I'm disappointed to say the least. Looks like I'll be sticking with Fusion then...

4. Webtogs

Webtogs Bit poster

Video Ram limitation at 64meg

is it just me or is this really infuriating? I've got a 512meg video card in my macbook pro and would expect to allocate at least 128meg of that to Windows XP virtual machine..

Any thoughts?

5. Webtogs

Webtogs Bit poster

What about upping the video memory limit to 128mb +

What about upping the video memory limit to 128mb +

6. reesd

reesd Member

On a related note, the VMWare Unity 2.0 Beta has true dual display support. I'm probably going to have to try it out because of Parallel's multiple display limitations and issues.
    d

7. reesd

reesd Member

See my earlier post in this thread, from what I have seen setting it higher causes the problem to happen faster.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Memory limitation to 64 mb, is causing by compatibility with entry level MacBooks which are limited to 64 mb, however I will submit feature request to developers about memory limit

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are planning to implement Video memory increase to 128 mb in Parallels Desktop 4.
    Thank you everybody for feature request, we are ready to listen to

10. tomax7

tomax7 Junior Member

Same here

While i don't have as fancy equipment as some on here, i have a 24" 2.8GHz with 2GB imac.

I can only get 64mb ram for the video, is there a way of getting more? Please don't tell me I spend $2000 for a computer with a cheap video card.

;-)

11. tomax7

tomax7 Junior Member

...I just bought Version 3 for $80+ and now i have to buy Version 4?

12. Jay Carroll

Jay Carroll Bit poster

I'm using 4.0 and have a windowserver.log full of:

[55569] kCGErrorIllegalArgument: _CGXCacheMergeShmem: Invalid mergeShmemID (101)

Multiple entries per minute at all times when running parallels in coherence. Originally I also had issues with cpu spikes and choppy video in VM, however alleviated these by deselecting 'Enable 3D Acceleration' and decreasing video ram to 16MB.
    Now with the latter changes I get decent performance my only issue being the these errors.

However, it would also be nice to be able to enable 3D Acceleration in my VM and make use of the 9600GT in my new late 2008 MBP - as was advertised on the retail box for 4.0.

I'm currently running coherence on the MBP screen and not using an external, however have in the past and have not noticed a difference.

My Specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B01