Leopard 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by aderium, May 30, 2008.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Note to everyone:

Even if you uninstall Parallels Tools from Windows the Parallels Video Driver is conserved by Windows since it thinks it's the most appropriate driver, in order to really get rid of it you should uninstall it thru the Device Manager and reboot and then install Parallels Tools.

2. Airw0lf

Airw0lf Junior Member

when will international users get the new build?

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

When their countries change their native language to Americano englishio.

(Sorry, i couldn't help it, I'm with a silly mood today, as another day passes by without a reply from Parallels relating AutoCAD 2009).

4. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I uninstalled previous version and then installed 5604. The screen issues have gone away, but I just had Parallels suddenly quit while using internet Explorer 7 and Outlook 2007 in Win XP Pro (SP3). I have Mac OS X 10.5.3 on a MacBook Pro 2.4 with 4GB Ram.

5. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

Strange as it seems to work for most others

Specimen wrote.

Note to everyone:

Even if you uninstall Parallels Tools from Windows the Parallels Video Driver is conserved by Windows since it thinks it's the most appropriate driver, in order to really get rid of it you should uninstall it thru the Device Manager and reboot and then install Parallels Tools.

Might be worth trying that. About all I can suggest.

6. jrdub

jrdub Junior Member

Nope. Try again. Still flickering here.

Someone earlier in the thread warned users not to be too quick to switch to Fusion because of speed issues. But which would you rather have: unusable (but fast!) or slow (and stable)?

'Nuff said.

7. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

NO GOOD.

When I update to this build my XP VM suddenly has no network and XP wants reactivation!!
    (I updated tools).

8. ScottMc

ScottMc Bit poster

I too have the flickering problem. I just installed 5604 so we'll see if it works. I have had an issue since I chose to upgrade to 5300? on wednesday and when I switch to full screen, my resolution does not change to match the MacBook Pro resolution. I have triple checked my tools and settings and the box is checked to switch resolution on full screen, but It's not doing it. I am running a 2ghz MacBook Pro with RadeonX1600 graphics card and all has been good for the last two years....until I upgraded on tuesday. Any help would be appreciated.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

@manfredell

Reactivation is normal when you uninstall Parallels Tools (Windows thinks it's new hardware), only reactivate AFTER updating Parallels Tools.

The symptom you describe is typical of 'incomplete' Parallels Tools installation, doubleclick the Parallels Tools tray icon and check to see if everything is enabled, specially the network part, then check the network adapter in the Device Manager and look at the driver version (it should say ....5604 at the end).

10. datafusion

datafusion Bit poster

I think it would be useful to know the system configurations of those people who are still having problems (and even of those for whom 5604 worked). Perhaps there is some commonality in the video hardware of the affected systems. System RAM and VM RAM configurations might also be relevant.

11. ScottMc

ScottMc Bit poster

Per my above post, I updated to 5604 this morning and that did not resolve the flickering. Its still doing it.

Anything else to try?

12. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS.

Started with a completely perfect XP VM and Parallels 5600 installation. Updated to this build.
    Network doesn't come up, XP wants reactivation.

Uninstalled this build, rebooted, installed 5600, restored the backup of the VM, AND STILL no network and XP reactivation!!!

I'M SCREWED!!!!!!!!

13. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Sorry but this is NOT true. I'm a Parallels user since the VERY first version. Always with this VM. I NEVER had to reactivate XP, never.

See my post before: I reinstalled the backup of the VM reinstalled 5600 and all is screwed!!!

14. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Most probably you didn't uninstall 5604 completely before downgrading.

PS: It is true, if it wasn't before it is now (either because of Parallels or Windows Genuine Advantage latest version), and even if it isn't true it won't do any harm trying what I said besides that, if you refuse to try it's your loss, and if you continue with that OMG!!1! attitude I'll give up on trying to help you.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  15. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Of course I did uninstall everything. I even used Filespot to find every file the P uninstaller didn't uninstall.
    And I checke the versions of the drivers. This was not the problem!

And what attitude do you mention? That I'm more than angry?? Normal in this case.

16. ScottMc

ScottMc Bit poster

So I installed it over an hour ago and now I should uninstall it? Why? It didn't add to my original problems, but it didn't fix them either.

17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Look here, if you did uninstall completely (checked the kexts) installed the version you had before and used a restored image, then it's everything like you had before the upgrade, there's no reason not to work like you had before. The only thing that probably remained from 5604 were the preferences, if you use Time Machine you'll probably have the old ones stored there, if you don't than at least you know the preferences are the only reason why it isn't working since everything is supposed to be the same, you can delete them, edit them, be creative.

But if you did like I told you before attempting the downgrade maybe you wouldn' be picking up the pieces now.

"So I installed it over an hour ago and now I should uninstall it? Why? It didn't add to my original problems, but it didn't fix them either."
    I was answering manfredell, not you.

Lissen' up people. The key issue here is that 5604 kexts are not totally compatible with 5600 windows drivers and the same for 5600 kexts and 5604 windows drivers, thou, in order for everything to work well we have to guarantee a 'sanitization' of the file versions, this will either be neutral or helpful for resolving your issue, it will not do any harm so there's no reason no to do it.

18. rsnadel

rsnadel Bit poster

I am new to this forum. I bought my MacBook in April. It came with 10.5.2. I then installed Parallels v5600 and then Win XP Pro, which was then updated to SP3. I've now updated to OS 10.5.3, and am trying to understand the recommended procedure for updating to your 5604. Is there a location where there is are COMPLETE instructions for doing this? I only see bits and pieces in this thread, and am looking for a step by step that doesn't eliminate steps or assume I know what I'm doing or have done this before. The update image for 5604 contains no such instructions for updating...only for installing. Thanks.

19. mfox

mfox Junior Member

Build 5604 is mostly a success for me. I uninstalled 5600 and then installed 5604. The flickering and menu video effects I was experiencing in Windows 2000, Kubuntu 7.10 and OpenSuse 10.2 virtual machines disappeared. Also, I was previously unable to fully expand the window of OpenSuse, but after installing Parallels Tools again, I now have full screen capacity. I still can't move files to/from Mac Desktop to either Linux machine, but that was the case before the upgrade. It would be nice to ultimately have that capacity as is the case with Windows installs or Linux on VMware Fusion.

I had held back installing Ubuntu 8.04 awaiting an updated Parallels Desktop to address the Tools problem, so now was the time to try it. The Tools install was different than with previous versions. Instead of going through a long process of making and configuring, and installation was very quick with only one or two sentences flashing on the Terminal. I instantly had cursor control and window resizing - very impressive! Unfortunately, I don't have either scroll or right-click on my Apple mouse, and I can't figure out any way to bring up a contextual menu. This is a serious problem; one that I hope has a simple solution (somebody??). Here is the relevant mouse listing for /etc/Xii/xorg.conf:

# Parallels mouse driver
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Parallels Mouse"
    Driver "prlmouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "SendCoreEvents" "yes"
    EndSection

I'm wondering in the input device should be Parallels Mouse?

20. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Just for you to know:

I did get it working again. BUT: I had to install 5584!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I did EVERYTHING possible to do with 5600, to no avail.