Dock integration without SmartSelect

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by deviantintegral, Jun 5, 2008.

1. deviantintegral

deviantintegral Junior Member

Hi,

The subject says what I'm looking for: I want to run Parallels with Dock icons, but I don't want all of my Windows apps cluttering up my "Open With" menu. Besides which, they won't work anyways since Windows doesn't have direct access to my Mac drive.

There's a checkbox which is currently cleared in the configuration editor called "Enable SmartSelect", which according to the docs does what I want. Even though it was cleared when I populated applications on the Mac side, they still had file associations set (I can see them in Info.plist for each app bundle). Is it possible to have Parallels set things up the way I want? I'm not looking forward to manually removing the associations from each app...

Thanks,
    --Andrew

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

In the same place where you cleared SmartSelect Show in Dock - select Never

3. deviantintegral

deviantintegral Junior Member

Wouldn't that disable showing icons in the dock completely? That's not what I'm looking for, I want to keep dock icons but have no file associations. I tried following http://kb.parallels.com/en/4718 while holding the Apple key to remove Mac associations but it didn't seem to do what I was looking for.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I answered based on this : I want to run Parallels with Dock icons, but I don't want all of my Windows apps cluttering up my "Open With" menu

If you want to remove associations, and article didn't help, please try to delete folder Windows Applications in VM folder