MS-DOS 6.22 installed. Now need access to CD or host partition

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by frsnee7, May 28, 2006.

1. frsnee7

frsnee7 Junior Member

Hi,

On a MacBook Pro. 2GHz/2GB/100GB

I have MS-DOS 6.22 installed in a VM, just for old times sakes. Planning to try out some games. I have some old .exe files lying around, but not on floppies. And I don't have a floppy drive either.

So, how do I get those .exe files onto the VM drive? I can't mount the VM disk like I used to do on VPC. And there is no shared folder support. I'm quite sure the basic install of DOS 6.22 doesn't include a CDROM driver.

Any idea maybe where to get a CDROM driver compatible with the Parallels VM? And maybe some install instructions? My DOS memory is rusty.

I have got Windows 2000 running in a separate VM. I suppose I could create a new virtual HD, mount it as a 2nd disk within Win 2000. Format it as FAT, then copy the files there using Parallel's Shared Folder feature. Then use that same virtual HD with DOS 6. A bit cumbersome... Any other ideas?

I have gotten Dosbox to work btw. Universal now. Works really well. I just thought I'd compare it with Parallels.

Thanks.

2. http://www.dschmid.com

http://www.dschmid.com Bit poster

How's Dosbox's performance and more important, how is its compatibility with those old games? I'd like to run DOS for the exact same reason but I have one more problem, the mother of all DOS problems: How do I get Himem support in any virtual environment? Have you tried out anything concerning the infamous RAM limit of your DOS installation?

3. sammaffei

sammaffei Bit poster

DosBox Universal

Where did you get a universal dosbox?

Last time I looked, it was PPC only...

4. frsnee7

frsnee7 Junior Member

5. frsnee7

frsnee7 Junior Member

I’ve only tried a simple game called Wasteland, so far. Seems OK.

Unfortunately, despite all my nostalgia, playing an old game on 320x240 (or something) didn’t hold my interest for that long... :(

Maybe later...

6. boo!

boo! Bit poster

Simply download a self-extracting file called CDROM.EXE from the link and run the installation. This will install DOS cdrom drivers that work in with Parallels.

cheers!

7. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Successful DOS Install?

I hate to be thickheaded about this, but I really want to install DOS on a VM. I have made several attempts by creating images of the original MS DOS 6.22 install floppies, but this approach did not work...(error message indicating the floppy was not bootable, or the screen goes half grey/half black, then stops responding).

Does anyone have any hints or instructions on how they successfully got DOS installed ? I have tried DosBox for OSX (universal), but I cannot get Dragon's Lair to run under DosBox (yeah, I know).

Any help would be appreciated.