cant install!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sarsells, May 31, 2006.

1. sarsells

sarsells Bit poster

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and have sent 2 emails to support with no response.
    I have a macbook pro, that is brand new.
    I am not a technical person, but managed to install, the basic parallels software.
    However....when I insert my XP disk, i see it all loading. then I get terms and condtions and am told to press F8 to agree. I do this and nothing happens. I cant get past this stage.
    What can I do?:confused:

2. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Did you try cliking in the window for the VM?

3. sarsells

sarsells Bit poster

Yes, I clicked in the consol. But it will not allow me to accept the terms and conditions!
    I just looked at the screencasts tutorial. When loading XP I am not allowed to choose the size of the partition, or choose NTFS. It just all loads and then shops when it gets to terms and conditions.

4. MacGeek

MacGeek Bit poster

MacBook

Sarsells, you are on a laptop, therefore you must hold down the Function key (labeled fn on mine) on the lower-left of the keyboard before it will recognize the keypress as an F8 in Windows. Otherwise, go to the Keyboard & Mouse control panel, go to the Keyboard tab and uncheck (I think) the Use the F1-F12 keys to control . . . box.

Hope this helps.

MG

5. sarsells

sarsells Bit poster

THank you, that is good to know. However, due to other problems I have now uninstalled paralleles. I am starting a new thread, with more problems. I hope to get back to this one soon.

6. sarsells

sarsells Bit poster

Thank you for the help. I used the fn key and that was it!!! So I got 95% the way through installation and then the machine froze! As I have now successfully installed and used bootcamp, and can see XP files from OSX I think I will leave it for a later date. I am new to macs and there is SO much to learn.