10.5.3 + Parallels 3.0 (5604) + kubuntu 8.04 = no network

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by NickK1066, Jun 10, 2008.

1. NickK1066

NickK1066 Junior Member

[solved] 10.5.3 + Parallels 3.0 (5604) + kubuntu 8.04 = no network

I've been banging my head against a brick wall - regardless of any of the 'fixes' described. I've tried 3.0 builds 5600, 5602, 5604 all with the same issue.

I've tried uninstalling, repairing permissions, removing directories, rebooting then reinstalling then repairing permissions again - all with the same result - no network connectivity with kubuntu.

My MBP is running 10.5.3 (2.4Ghz Santa Rosa, 4GB, 8600M GT 256MB) .

kubuntu ifconfig is showing no ethernet connectivity (eth1) without an assigned IP address. It just has a MAC address. No eth0 (which is odd) and the loopback 'lo' is present.

Parallels is showing NAT and Guest OS network preference entries with a green light. The "DHCP" is return 10.x.x.x subnet for those components. The wireless network is actually 192.x.x.x.
    The parallels NAT is showing it has a 'self assigned IP' which obviously is incorrect - almost like it's DHCP is not working.
    Parallels network configuration option (with the VM not started) has the networking enabled and 'connect on start up' as ticked.

The gateway and DCHP server for that subnet is showing only the MacBookPro being the only DHCP client active - on WiFi or standard copper RJ45.

What is interesting is that the en2 & en3 connection created as part of installing Parallels are showing up with ifconfig in Darwin but do not have IP addresses assigned.

This is the same for all of the types of network also if I manually configure without DHCP enabled.

Parallel Tools has installed correctly and works with KDE 3.5 as part of the kubuntu 8.0.4.

I'm baffled (degree in software engineering and over 15 years industry).. is this something simple I'm missing?

Alternatively is there any log file that I can post up (I can do the dumps from ifconfig if you want but I think the gist from above is that there's no assigned IP connection..).

Any suggestions?

Nick

(will attempt this http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=16839 later tonight)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. NickK1066

NickK1066 Junior Member

Nope that didn't work. A full diagnostic run down from ADSL modem to VM

Linksys WAG300N:
    * sees native Mac as DHCP client, sees that it has an assigned IP address on the wireless lan.
    * does not see any additional DHCP clients or IP address allocations.

MacBook Pro
    Please excuse the hidden MAC addresses and some hidden subnet addresses
    OS X's network preferences are showing:
    * AirPort - connected (which is working ok)

* Parallels Host-Guest is currently active (shows as green connected) and has an IP address of A.B.1.46, configured to use DHCP. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0. No Router IP address appearing (first sign of trouble), no DNS servers, no Search Domains.
    Psuedo MAC Address is 00:1c:42:00:00:00

* Parallels NAT is currently active (shows as green connected) and has an IP address of A.B.0.40, configured to use DHCP. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and again no router IP address or DNS server addresses.
    Psuedo MAC address is 00:1c:42:00:00:01

Parallels

Parallels Preferences > Network
    Shared Network
    - Enabled DCHP scope for shared networking:
    -- start A.B.0.40
    -- end A.B.0.45
    -- mask 255.255.255.0
    -- no port forwarding set up.

VM window > Network Icon
    is grey, shows no activity but no red cross.
    menu has ticks against Connect at the top and Shared Network at the bottom - none of the other items have ticks.

Kubuntu desktop
    * has network warning that there's no connection (red cross and disconnected RJ45 icon).
    * System Settings > Network Connections:
    shows eth1, no IP address, Protocol=dchp, State=Enabled. No gateway IP under Routes tab, no Domain Name Servers under Domain Name System tab.

By hand as copy isn't working.

The version of OSX running is 10.5.3. Uname -a returns:
    Darwin Leopard.local 9.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.3.0: Fri May 23 00:49:16 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.18~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

I hope that helps diagnose the problem - It looks like somewhere the DHCP from Parallels isn't finding the subnet's DHCP server thus isn't being given all the details (gateway & DHCP addresses).

I've also tried a console log in and on shutdown -P 0 I did get some comments about "argh .... NULL" etc. And there's no mention of any other network except eth0 (not eth1 as reported by ifconfig!):
    eth0: RealTek RTL-8029 found at 0x4c00, IRQ 10, 00:1c:42:14:85:1b
    udev: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1
    ... (later I start playing with the network and disconnect & reconnect the shared network)
    <info> Deactivating device eth1.
    <info> eth1: Driver 'ne2k-pci' does not support carrier detection You must switch to it manually.
    <info> nm_device_init(): devices worker thread started, continuing.
    <info> nm_device_init(): waiting for device's worker thread to start
    <info> Now managing wired Ethernet (802.3) device 'eth1'

This MAC address corresponds to the pseudo IP address configured for the VM network settings.

3. NickK1066

NickK1066 Junior Member

Hmm seems The Firewall is denying the VM access.

Opened the OSX firewall and restarted the VM.. still nothing.

4. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

I've had some success in the past by making sure that the network settings in kubuntu are unlocked. Sometimes when they're locked, they can't get the IP address from Parallels. Good luck.

5. NickK1066

NickK1066 Junior Member

Ok... there seems to be an issue with 8.04.

For some reason "sudo dhclient eth1" causes the system to work out a IP address and get to the gateway.

So when I do ifconfig now I get eth1 with an inet addr & Bcast address.

apt-get now resolves DNS entries too.

Interesting the KNetworkManager is still showing the connection down even through apt-get is just downloading updated packages.

Ok, it's not solved... on restart we're back to the problem.

Although it's possible to kick ubuntu by using dlclient..