Windows flickers in 'Single Window' mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DFoxgrov, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Luzzano II

Luzzano II Bit poster

Great news! I must admit this is coming sooner than I should have anticipated.
    Thank you, John
    BRAVO Parallels

2. arbs1976

arbs1976 Bit poster

link to fix????

Where can we find a link for a fix for this problem. This is killing me!!!!

3. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

The fix is not out yet. Don't push them. Give them time to test it well. You don't want a fix that breaks something else, do you?

4. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

Download and install 5604 from the link in this thread.

I can confirm that it fixes the flickering as others have said.

5. pubcav

pubcav Bit poster

Bad flickering and attachment problems in Outlook

Flickering began with stuttering white pointer with a trail that was hard to control. This began after download the new Build. Windows XP failed to open yesterday and just showed a black screen. Had to reinstall Windows XP and named it XP2. Flickering became terrible unless I switched to Coherence. Have been reinstalling Windows software. But all attachments in old Outlook messages + all new Outlook emails are now what I think are called .dat files (blue outlined square with a red and blue dot that is within another square. These files do have the correct extension, but do not show with the correct icon. Windows will not open these files from the Outlook emails. I have to save the attachment on the shared desktop, open the correct application in Windows (Adobe Reader or Word, for example), then open the attachment on the Desktop from within the application. All of this is new since yesterday when Windows XP failed. Reinstalled Parallels Tools.

Although flickering goes away in Coherence, this is not really fixing the problem. And I have no idea how to get back to receiving attachments in the application in which they were sent.

6. Lindsay

Lindsay Member

All that we were trying to get fixed here was the flickering.

What's the "new build" your talking about.

In Parallels 5600 is now the old version 5604 is the new.

The new Mac OS X is now 10.5.3.

5604 fixes the flickering so it seems. Link in this thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=21247&page=4

The Outlook problem your having would be better addressed in the MS Outlook forum. That's what I would do anyway.Unless someone here knows the answer.

7. Am3822

Am3822 Bit poster

Which link? The only link I could find in this thread is for the 5160 build.

EDIT: found the link. I guess time will tell whether or not it solves the flickering/refresh problem for me.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  8. choppernyc

choppernyc Bit poster

Build 3.5600

Same issue here on an imac extreme, Build 3.5600

Tried all of the above, to no avail.

9. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

10. Airw0lf

Airw0lf Junior Member

when will international users get the new build?

11. BJMoose

BJMoose Bit poster

Thanks! I know that everytime an OSX upgrade comes out there are bound to be glitches in Parallels and since we all may be using different OS's and different versions of those OS's under Parallels, it can be difficult to pinpoint precise causes for those glitches.

I just want to say thanks of a job well done in fixing this problem so quickly. I do a lot of beta testing for major software companies for both PC and Mac and you guys/gals do a great job of working aggressively to solve problems almost as soon as they are documented by your users. Kudos! It would be great if more manufacturers would follow your lead on the support end.

Peace, BJMoose

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Bellow is copy of my post in thread http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=21247

Hello all,

I will try to answer to all questions for past 2 days
    1. For whom it didn't help, please reinstall Parallels Desktop as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790
    We tested in every possible combination, and we are sure that flickering problem is resolved - and at last if problem is still there, please create ticket in support, with subject flickering - just give a call and ask assign to John @Parallels.
    I will be able to trace those tickets during weekend

2. About localized builds, we are doing very hard work to localize Parallels Desktop as soon as possible, I hope I will be able to provide some information in Monday

3. About hidden link - we are working to improve autoupdate, and again I hope, I will be able to answer in Monday about this

Please provide additional questions, if I missed something

13. madScripter

madScripter Bit poster

It is not limited to 10.5.3. I have on 1st (2nd?)generation MacBook Pro 2GHZ Core Duo, 2GB RAM running 10.4.10. I just re-imaged this Mac and still have the shaky Windows. I tried coherence and that worked but is not a solution.
    Parallels 5600.0 will try 5604

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  14. John@Parallels

Not sure, that it is reproducible on Tiger, on old MB I use 10.4.11, and tested 5584 through 5604, no flickering.
    Please try to reinstall Parallels Desktop as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790

15. scorpionsix

scorpionsix Junior Member

I was having the same problem with Build 5600, so I uninstalled the application and went back to Build 5584. This appeared to resolve the problem for a while until today oddly enough. I have downloaded Build 5604, uninstalled the old Build and the problems appears to have been resolved upon initial use of the New Build.

MacBook Pro:
    2 Gigs Memory
    2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

16. madScripter

madScripter Bit poster

Still having problems with flickering after I followed the steps in http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790. Also uninstalled Parallel Tools and re-installed inside XP. MacBook Pro 10.4.10 with build 5604

MacBook Pro:
    2 Gigs Memory
    2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  17. mailhouse

mailhouse Bit poster

I'm also still experiencing the flicker problem after following the steps in http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790. MacBook Pro 10.5.3 with build 5604, running Windows XP Pro SP 3.

18. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

After analyzing the repeatedly cited Knowledge Base article I've decided to post the following disclaimers.

DISCLAIMERS

1- Applying the steps described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/4790 amount to one big nothing (doesn't delete the .kexts) since the .kexts are actually folders and so the command should be 'sudo rm -rf <path to kext>' (the r stands for recursive and the f for force). Also, like any UNIX person will tell you, 'sudo rm -rf' is a VERY dangerous command because if you press enter accidently before typing the path or (middle-way thru the path) it will DELETE EVERYTHING on your disk without confirmation (or inside the directory up to the typed incomplete path) and it doesn't matter if you're currently inside a directory or not, the scope of rm is global.

You are better off navigating there with Finder and deleting the files thru it.

2- But Parallels, should never ever recommend using 'rm -rf' unless there isn't really any other alternative, and if rm is the only way Parallels should just build a script that does that for you and offer it for download.

This is a very big fault on Parallels behalf, very very sloppy job, I'm very disappointed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  19. Airw0lf

Airw0lf Junior Member

John, when can we expect the international release?

20. John@Parallels

Yes, localized builds are passing QA test , I hope it will be finished in a week, or a bit more

Specimen, You will not be able to delete kext without authenticating for each kext
    Therefore all needs to be done , just copy paste commands from article
    I suppose we will put bash script, which only need to be downloaded and performed as one command
    Open to suggestions at this point