Unofficial fix for Linux Guest OS Parallels Tools with Xorg 1.4 version

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Egurt, May 13, 2008.

1. intulor

intulor Bit poster

kde4/parallels

KDE4 works fine before installing parallels tools. Looks like a display driver issue is causing it to crash after tools is installed.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. orzee

orzee Bit poster

Build 5602

Hi John,

I installed build 5602, the resolution seems to resize better on Ubuntu 8.04, However I still cannot get the right click on the trackpad to work?

Any workaround.

Also, any news when you will "officially" be supporting 8.04, you said earlier that a release was coming in June. Any more details?

Thanks

4. mvcube

mvcube Member

Hi John, same here. I've just installed 5602 and can't get the right mouse button to work. My Ubuntu install is a fresh one and the xorg.conf looks like what has been shown here several times, just the standard stuff.

Will there be a fix in the near future?

5. mfox

mfox Junior Member

There was a new version 5608 posted today. Prior to that, I used an unofficial version, 5604 (posted in another thread) and successfully installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my iMac 2.16 C2D running Leopard (10.5.3), including the Parallels Tools. But I had one problem, same as reported here - right-click and scroll bar on mouse don't work. I could still bring up the contextual menu (right-click) using the cmd key on the right side of my keyboard. Unfortunately, 5608 didn't fix the problem; in fact it wouldn't even let me install Parallels Tools again as it was stopped by Xorg 1.4. So in that way, this is a regression on version 5604, which at least let me install Parallels Tools on my Ubuntu 8.04 virtual machine. (At least it didn't wipe out my previous PT installation - everything is working the same as before). The mouse problem has been reported in several other threads. Is there a fix coming soon for this - even a beta fix we can test?

6. John@Parallels

I am checking it now

7. John@Parallels

5608 doesn't have Parallels Tools compatible with Ubuntu 8.04
    5604 was unofficial build, we are preparing new build which will be available in the end of June

8. mvcube

mvcube Member

John, can you post here when you have the Linux tools ready for testing?

9. John@Parallels

We are planing to publish build at the end of June,
    I will try to post exact date when build will pass QA test

10. JHBrewer

JHBrewer Bit poster

The end of June is day after tomorrow. Shall I wait patiently, or has there been a "glitch" in the scheduled release of a version that will work with xorg-1.4?

BTW, I was a little confused by the original posting of builds with unofficial fixes: they were all packages for the guest system (.tgz, .rpm, .deb, .exe) rather than for Mac-OS/X (.pkg) -- but Parallels is an OS/X application, nicht wahr? Isn't the"fixed build" supposed to replace the stuff that came on my Parallels for Mac CD? If so, why isn't it a .pkg file? What am I failing to grok here? -- Jess

11. John@Parallels

We are testing new tools, and working to get it done as soon as possible, just want to publish it when there will be no problems
    As for you mention formats, they are for another OSes, and that assumes that you need extract it (tgz,) or have access to Linux, Windows, to copy vmtools-linux.iso to Mac

12. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Quite a difference between "5604 was unofficial build, we are preparing new build which will be available in the end of June," then "We are planing to publish build at the end of June," and now "working to get it done as soon as possible, just want to publish it when there will be no problems."

I remember when build 5604 was going to take care of the Parallels Tools for Unix errors and THAT didn't happen. Then it was going to be build 5608 and still Unix tools were screwed up. Then we were told all would be fixed by the end of June. Now we have NO date...just an ASAP.

And to let us know this the day before June ends, and only when someone asked a question about it, just isn't right. Your word is meaningless, your dates are meaningless and it only underscores the minimal accountability Parallels has for its own errors and minimal support for its customers.

13. John@Parallels

Nop, a bit different picture,
    We met some problems in 5604, and thus removed tools from 5608
    Build 5604 was unofficial, for test only
    Linux OS support was raised in priority by management, and most of developers and testers are working on it.

14. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

The issue is you said a new build with fixed Unix tools would be out by the end of June. Your words, not mine. Now it's "as soon as possible." I reiterate my point...your word is meaningless and the date is meaningless, particularly when your competitors already have this problem fixed.

15. DaveGee

DaveGee Bit poster

You talk like they have the fix sitting on the shelf just waiting for a magic day to release it... If the problem isn't fix yet its cause they haven't been able to fix it... Developing software isn't like stacking bricks... As much as you'd like to put deadlines and demands on the development of a project &#$@ happens and throws things off track...

Just a question but is this the first time you're using a computer? Because "why software projects don't come out on time" doesn't usually require such a detailed explanation.

Dave

16. John@Parallels

Actually problem is fixed in Parallels Server, and we are trying to bring innovations to Parallels Desktop.

17. orzee

orzee Bit poster

So John, are there any updates today?

18. John@Parallels

Plans are following, Linux tools are actually ready and working in Parallels Server, and this caused some slowness in Parallels Desktop (some differences are there), as as Parallels Server is ready, we are working to bring it to Parallels Desktop.
    As I mentioned Linux compatibility priority was increased by top management in all areas
    Parallels Desktop tools, Parallels Workstation.
    I understand situation quit well, but this time we do not want to provide half-working product
    Thank you for your patience!

19. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

Actually I work day in and day out with Macs fixing them. I'm simply calling into account the statement that the build would be ready by the end of June. There's no point in repeating that statement, and building up expectations over a number of posts if that isn't going to happen.

20. NOLA

NOLA Bit poster

bump

Any updates on the fix?