Security guide for Windows host OS?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by chinarut, Jun 9, 2008.

1. chinarut

chinarut Member

Hi! I'd like to know if there is anyone out there who has written some tips on hardening up a Windows guest OS hosted in parallels?

I'm just concerned about safeguarding my host OS, Mac OS X.

For example, are there safer ways to share my Mac file system that doesn't involve giving access to my entire home folder or root partition (what happens by default).

Another question I would see answered: what are the pros & cons of each form of networking? I assume one form puts you directly on the net with additional exposure to risk and networking from within Mac OS X probably is safer but probably not as flexible and perhaps some applications won't work under this configuration. I would assume the later would be fine for basic Internet browsing from within WinXP.

If there is no such guide, suggestions and tips would be useful and at some point, don't mind summarizing it all!

To being safe - thanks!

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. chinarut

chinarut Member

I don't see Parallels Desktop in this list so I suspect we have a miscommunciation.

I know how to harden up WinXP no problem.

What I would like to see is a security & performance tuning guide for Parallels Desktop.

What is missing for me is how to flip all the levers and switches and the pros and cons of configurations from a security and performance perspective.

in the event no guide exists, security being higher priority at the moment.

chinarut

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

5. chinarut

chinarut Member

thanks for that link - that was a nice leisurely read - decided to skim the whole god damn manual! :) (btw there is no page 284)

ok - i confirm I have the security slider bar on "high" and discovered it is possible to create a custom shared folder so it doesn't share my while drive or home folder.

i can also see Shared Networking is done via NAT.

ok i think i answered my own question - I assume the best use of a Windows firewall even with Shared Networking is to monitor what data is coming in and out of the system via the Internet.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008