how do you do swicthing like this?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by timdeville, May 22, 2006.

1. timdeville

timdeville Bit poster

check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE1XQyT_IbA&feature=Views&page=2&t=t&f=b

Im guessing he is using parallels, but how do you do that?

I have had it so that I can open one VM and when i clcik the full screen icon, it spins to windows, but i need to have parallels as the active app, and i can only spin to xp, not to multiple operating systems!

2. Manatee

Manatee Member

The comments following that video give you most of the information you need. The key is to install VirtueDesktops (Google it), and start up each operating system on a separate "desktop". Then you can toggle among them. I think it's been discussed in many threads here.

3. monoclast

monoclast Member

Here's how

I think a lot of people are likely to find this thread when searching for how to do this; so I'll post the instructions here:

1. Install Parallels.
    2. Install VirtueDesktops.
    3. In VirtueDesktops, create two desktops: Desktop1, and Desktop2 (one for each VM).
    4. In Parallels, set up and install two guest operating systems and VMs: VM1, and VM2.
    5. Switch to Desktop1.
    6. Start VM1. The VM will start up on Desktop1.
    7. From the Parallels menu bar, select File > New Window.
    8. In the new window, open and start VM2. VM2 will start on Desktop1.
    9. Switch to Desktop2.
    10. From the VirtueDesktops menu, select Inspection > Applications. The Application Information window appears.
    11. From the list of applications on the left side of the window, select Parallels.
    12. In the list on the right side of the window, set the Desktop for VM1 to Desktop2. The VM window now appears on Desktop2.

That's it. Now you can switch between the two desktops to switch VMs.

Now, if someone knows of a way to automate the starting of two VMs at once and the assigning of each to a certain Virtue desktop, please share! :)

4. iCaffeine

iCaffeine Bit poster

SWEET! Got it working on my MBP with RC2. Time to show it off :)

Thanks

5. n9yty

n9yty Member

For some reason it always kicks out of full screen here when I hit ctrl-alt to release the mouse/keyboard so I can switch VirtueDesktop. I see a preference setting regarding this (I think) but it doesn't matter which way I have that set.

6. pokaroo

pokaroo Bit poster

I'm with n9yty. I'm having the same problem on my MacBook Pro.

7. Matthew

Matthew Bit poster

You don't need to press Ctrl-Alt to use VirtueDesktops. The shortcut keys should work fine. Make sure "Enable access for assistive devices" is turned off in the Universal Access preference pane though, as I believe this breaks the feature.

8. pokaroo

pokaroo Bit poster

BINGO!

That fixed the problem. Thanks Matthew.

9. xzeezeex

xzeezeex Bit poster

that fixed it for me as well....

bummer, because it breaks Textpander, which needs the assitive devices access.... Is there anyway to have both? It worked back in beta6 without having to do this workaround...

10. johnjohnson

johnjohnson Bit poster

Yeah, I'd like to have a way to switch between fullscreen Parallels and another desktop too. Without disabling the assistive devices stuff as Witch requires them to be enabled. It worked like a charm in RC1, so please change it back.

11. rAph

rAph Bit poster

Yeah, I like having assitive devices on too, in order to let Witch work...

12. wmsec

wmsec Bit poster

Any word yet?

Is there any word yet if this will be fixed (or fixed soon)?

...t...

13. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Give this a try - it's the original OS X Desktop Manager rebuilt as a universal app. I prefer it to VirtueDesktop, and it may not have the problem you're seeing.

http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/index.php/t12363.html

dp

14. dvinnola

dvinnola Junior Member

I am trying to create desktops for OS X, Ubuntu, and XP. I follow the directions above, but when I got to inspection>applications, and try to change the desktop of XP from the Ubuntu desktop to the XP one, it keeps defaulting back to Ubuntu. Is anyone else having this issue? Can I only have 2 desktops?