Moving a VM to a new machine

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by daviesap, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daviesap

daviesap Bit poster

Hello -

I am getting my MacBook Pro replaced in a couple of days. To save re-installing the VM / Windows etc. can I just copy my configuration file and HDD image to the new machine?

Is there anything else I should do / know?

Thanks,

Andrew

2. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Pretty sure all you need is the .pvs and the .hdd files, then open the files up in PD and you should be all set. I take backup of those two files al the time, copy then to a firewire drive, play with thr originals and when I blow something uo I just copy back the backed up files. You'll have to reinstall PD of course...

HTH,
    Peter

3. sandrino

sandrino Bit poster

You have to reinstall?

Let me get this straight, in order to recognize the duplicate VM images you have to reinstall Parallels? I have tried moving my Windows XP VM image to an iMac and I cannot get Parallels to recognize it at all. I didn't think I would need to reinstall the complete application.

4. chrisp

chrisp Member

Um....you need Parallels installed to be able to open a VM if that's what you're asking Sandrino.

5. sandrino

sandrino Bit poster

It is installed

I have Parallels on both Macs. When I move a VM image from my MacBook Pro to the iMac, Parallels on the iMac will not recognize the HDD file. Parallels Desktop gives me an error and won't let me use the VM image.

6. STim

STim Bit poster

Sandrino, please give us a text of an error message. Once we have it, we'll suggest you a solution :)

7. sandrino

sandrino Bit poster

I will, as soon as I get home so I can try it again.

Thanks for the quick reply!

8. STim

STim Bit poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.