Mouse Locked Inside Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NightWriter, Jun 16, 2008.

1. NightWriter

NightWriter Junior Member

Hi all, new user, thanks for being here!
    I'm new to both iMac 24" and Parallels which was installed by an Apple store with Windows XP Pro.
    I use a Microsoft ergonomic wireless keyboard and optical mouse with USB dongle in one of the iMac's USB ports.
    For 2.5 weeks after delivery of iMac, no problems.
    But on the weekend, the mouse locked inside the XP Pro window. I couldn't get back to the Mac OS without shutting down Windows, couldn't minimise the XP window back to the Mac dock, couldn't access the Parellels Desktop menu/preferences etc.

Googled online for solutions, and found one which works temporarily: Alt+Tab hot key.
    This gives me a black arrow pointer while the white mouse pointer in XP Pro freezes. [I do not have mouse pointer trails enabled.]
    A message appears in the bottom left hand of the screen: 'Click inside single window to capture mouse.' After I do so, ie return to XP Pro, the message reads: 'Press Ctrl+Alt to release keyboard and mouse', but this just activates the Start menu.

Using Alt+Tab gets me out into the Mac OS space and/or enables me to minimise XP Pro to the Mac dock. However, the Parallels Desktop menu then disappears.

I phoned the Apple store for help, and it was suggested I access the Parallels Desktop menu, access keyboard shorcuts and return them to 'default'. [Presumably I should access mouse preferences also.] As I can't access it, I can't do so.

Is there some other way to access the Parallels Desktop menu through the Mac GUI? (I tried via Finder/Applications/Parallels desktop, but clicking on it did not bring up the Parallels Desktop menu either.

I've searched the forums and knowledge base, but this issue seemingly hasn't been raised since 2006.

I'd be very thankful for any help.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Select in USB Controller settings Connect to Mac OS, and your mouse will not be connected to VM

3. NightWriter

Thanks so much for the suggestion. However, it didn't work :-( either when stopping the VM and making the change then restarting it, or rebooting. (I also tried unchecking 'exclude dock' but this was just a worse mess with no mouse cursor at all. I'm still not sure how I got out of that one...)

I think I might be stuck with this one and will just have to put up with clicking Alt+Tab whenever I want to leave the Windows environment.

4. John@Parallels

One more step to check, when VM is running please uncheck all items which are checked on second icon from right on bottom panel (USB icons)

5. NightWriter

Thanks. No items are checked to start with.

6. John@Parallels

Can you please attach Virtual Machine pvs file

7. NightWriter

Thanks - (a) do you mean the Microsoft Windows XP.pvs? (b) I don't see .pvs in the Manage Attachments list? Sorry, as said, new to Macs, new to this forum...

8. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Try reinstalling the Parallels tools in the VM.

1) Start the virtual machine.
    2) Press <apple>-<tab> to get your mouse out of the VM
    3) Click on "Install Parallels tools" in the parallels->actions menu
    4) Run the installer in windows and reboot your VM

This might fix it...

9. NightWriter

Hi John - 'manage attachments' will manage .zip so I've zipped the file I think you want.

Attached Files:

10. NightWriter

Hi to unused_user - thanks - I'll wait on John to see if he can figure anything from the attachment, and then I might try this. Thank you.

11. John@Parallels

I only received link to file not file itself, you can find file in Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows folder .
    By the way you can try users's suggestion

12. NightWriter

Thanks John - oops, silly me, of course it was a link. Sorry about that. However, having closed Windows down and then tried to upload the file from its applications location, I get an 'upload errors...Microsoft Windows XP.pvs...invalid file', even though it's there. That might tell you something, though?

13. John@Parallels

Please provide screenshot for error

14. NightWriter

newattachment.php.html

Not sure how to get the screenshot into this post; hope this works, it wouldn't upload as attachment etiher.

15. NightWriter

Trying again by copy/pasting the screenshot: won't paste as a screenshot as such, but won't upload the screenshot either. Can't insert image either - 'insert image' on post asks for a URL. (filename goes missing from 'browse' line each time I click 'upload'):

Close this window Manage Attachments
    Upload Errors
    Microsoft Windows XP.pvs:
    Invalid File
    Upload File from your Computer

Upload File from a URL

Uploading File(s) - Please Wait
    Attachment Key
    Filetype Max Filesize Max Width Max Height
    bmp 19.5 KB 620 280
    bz - - -
    bz2 - - -
    diff - - -
    doc 19.5 KB - -
    fdd 1.91 MB - -
    gif 488.3 KB 620 280
    gz - - -
    jpe 19.5 KB 620 280
    jpeg 19.5 KB 620 280
    jpg 488.3 KB - -
    patch - - -
    pdf 19.5 KB - -
    png 1.91 MB 620 280
    psd 19.5 KB - -
    tgz - - -
    txt 19.5 KB - -
    zip 97.7 KB - -

16. NightWriter

Okay, I tried moving the screenshot to Windows - the thumbnail is visible in My Documents - but still can't get it to upload, either as attachment or copy/pasted. I've spent a couple of hours on this...

17. John@Parallels

Well, maybe you can create ticket in support and privately reply to me?

18. NightWriter

Thanks John. Message marked 'attention John@Parallels' with same subject header as in this forum (as above) sent via support system, ticket number created, screenshot attached.

19. John@Parallels

Thank you, will check in Monday