5582 and buggy F11/F12 keys

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by slimemold, Dec 6, 2007.

1. starkos

starkos Bit poster

...and here

Adding myself to this thread so in order to receive updates. I just upgraded to Leopard and this issue is making it difficult to use Visual Studio. I (and others it appears) would appreciate updates on the status of this issue.

This is Parallels 5584 on 10.5.2, running XP in the VM. I've removed all mappings to F11 and F12 in OSX. The suggested fix (creating an application-level mapping for F11 and F12) isn't really sufficient since it doesn't support modifier keys (like Ctrl+Alt+F12 for Next Error).

Other threads include:
    * http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=18198
    * http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=17942
    * http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=19708

Thanks!

2. fabiocorneti

fabiocorneti Bit poster

Same here

I confirm the bug on Leopard 10.5.2; I've solved it by migrating the VM to VMWare Fusion, which I suggest as an option to users which would like to use Visual Studio productively.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We have collected information, and we will try to implement this in either updated build, or in version 4

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. starkos

starkos Bit poster

That's good to hear, but way too late for me. I've been running the VMware Fusion 2 Beta for several weeks now. It was painful giving up SmartSelect and Spotlight indexing of the VM, but not as painful as using a broken Visual Studio.

5. manfredell

manfredell Hunter

Sure, work out bugs in version 4, where you can collect $$$ again.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I specially mentioned either in the one of upcoming builds or in the next version

7. bluntstone@hotmail.com

bluntstone@hotmail.com Bit poster

i use visual studio and it works for me... i went in mac to system preferences -> checked the check box to use all f1... etc this means that when you want to use f keys in mac you have to hold fn key down at same time...but visual studio works fine.

8. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

what version of parallels are you using? 5608 here and no it doesn't work. checking the box only "flips" the function of the key.

- with the box checked, pressing F11 activates exposé
    - with the box checked and exposé disabled, nothing happens
    - with the box checked and exposé disabled, while pressing the FN key, it decreases volume.

- with the box unchecked, pressing F11 decreases volume
    - with the box unchecked and exposé disabled, F11 decreases volume
    - with the box unchecked and exposé disabled, while pressing the FN key, nothing happens.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  9. tonycarreon

tonycarreon Member

this appears to be resolved in parallels 4.0

will it be back-ported to 3 or will i be forced to upgrade to 4.0?