Internet Explorer crashing

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mkoenig, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

I am a Parallels novice. I am trying to use Windows XP in Parallels to do some crucial work on my MacBook Pro (2.6 processor with 4GB memory, OS 10.5.3). It is a web based Radiology Information System application I need to use to dictate medical/radiology reports, as well as review patient info, sign reports, etc. I use a USB microphone to dictate (Phillips SpeechMike). It is all web based, using Internet Explorer. I have set this up on a few PC's and it is working without problem on those. However, when I dictate on my MacBook Pro, the resulting dictation sounds somewhat garbled, with skipping. Everytime I complete the dictation, and immediately after the program tells me that the recorded audio file successfully uploaded, IE consistantly crashes, giving me an error message. I then have to restart IE, log back in, etc. In addition to this predictable crashing, IE often crashes while doing other things (signing reports, etc.).
    The RIS company's support people haven't been able to help me, and they aren't familiar with using the site/software on Mac or familiar with Parallels.
    Can someone please help me sort this out?
    Thanks,
    Marc

2. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

Any thoughts? Basically, the voice recordings have "skipping" and Internet Explorer quits/crashes after it uploads the recording (and at other more random times).
    This is crucial for me to fix. Thanks,
    Marc

3. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

Mark:

How much ram do you have the VM set up for. You may also want to check the VM settings under options/advanced and set the preferences for VM performance, not OSX performance.

4. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

Main memory 2048MB. Video memory 64MB. I already have it set for optimized VM performance, in the Advanced setting.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to setup microphone in mac instead and use it as default, not connecting it as USB device to Mac
    Please see steps bellow
    1) Verify whether the microphone works in your Mac.

2) Set up the microphone as default sound input in Mac. You may do it as follows:

"System Preferences" -> "Sound" -> "Input" -> Choose your device in the list.

3) Reboot Virtual Machine and use your microphone in it.

6. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

I did as you instructed. Now when I boot the VM and use IE and the website, my Mike no longer is recognized. I checked the sound setup in Windows control panel and the external mike (SpeedMike Pro) is no longer an option for audio or voice input/recording.

7. John@Parallels

Yes, you can use now default recording device, microphone is now in Mac side, and in Windows use default recording device

8. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

I'm sorry, but I'm confused. Yes, the microphone is on the Mac side. However, this dictation site, which is also the site where I review patient information and sign reports, is not functional in the Mac OS. It also won't interface with Word correctly to let me sign reports. That is why I'm trying to do it all in the Windows VM. How do I make it work in Windows? The microphone is no longer seen in Windows. I'm am not understanding what you are saying?
    Thank you for your help.
    Marc

9. John@Parallels

Please try following.
    1. Setup USB microphone as default input device for for Vm
    Parallels Desktop -<Virtual Machine name>-Edit-Virtual Machine -Sound - Input device
    2. Start VM
    3. Open IE in VM, and select Intel(Integrated) Audio, this will be your microphone on Windows side, while you are really using your USB microphone

10. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

Thanks. I followed those directions. Accessible. The control buttons on the Mike (Rec, pause, rewind, end, etc) were non functioning. However, it was able to record with me selecting these controls (rec, pause, etc.) with my mouse in the program. Unfortunately, it still crashed after the audio file uploaded. The recording didn't sound a bad, although previously, occasionally the recordings sounded OK. I would have to do more test to be sure about that. Any other ideas to make the Philips SpeechMike and this voice dicatation software to work?
    Thanks,
    Marc

11. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

Any other suggestions to get the SpeechMike to work for this application in XP/Parallels? I'm not sure where else to turn. I hate to think I'm going to have to travel with both my Mac and a PC laptop.
    Marc

12. John@Parallels

Marc, I can suggest to test how it will work with IE 7,but please backup original VM folder,before testing
    Also, just some steps to test
    all are in Configuration editor.
    -Disable Acceleration Parallels Desktop -<Virtual Machine name>-Edit-Virtual Machine -Options -advanced

13. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

Sorry, I'm a novice and not sure about some of your suggestions.
    1. "Backup original VM folder". How is that done?
    2. "Some steps to test...". Is what you then write the first step... specifically, set acceleration level to "disabled"?

14. John@Parallels

15. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

I just checked. I'm already using Internet Explorer 7

16. John@Parallels

If I understood you correct you are disctating first then manually selecting file to upload, or dictation is also integrated in IE?

17. mkoenig

mkoenig Junior Member

I dictate into IE. The internet page has a little window that has all the typical controls (rec, play, pause, rewind). Normally, the buttons on the dictation microphone control the recording. Once I hit the End button on the microphone, it then shows a brief progress bar on the IE page and then gives a message that says, "File successfully uploaded" and then the IE program crashes (in addition to the sound skipping problems).

18. John@Parallels

Not sure it is exactly Parallels Desktop problem, however in Application logs there should be Application Errors entries, may be this cam help, if you can post them?
    Can you also verify, that software works correctly with IE 7?
    The best way of course to create new VM and check how it will work with this software, I am not able to check this.
    Also if possible try to check it from real PC

19. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

If it was me I would clone the whole VM

with VM chosen but not running
    PD >> Menu >> File >> clone

I do this weekly to two external hard disks

If I break a VM I just delete and run a clean clone
    (cloning the clone as the next back up)

I run my current VM from an external la Cie firwewire 800 HD too

Hugh W

20. Cello

Cello Junior Member

philips speechmike ii

I am having the same trouble

I use parallels 4 and want to run speechmike ii but not to dictate into IE; just to produce dictations

to run the speechmike software you must connect the philips usb device

this usb device has two components: (1) dongle, which serves as a license and allows the program to run. if no dongle is detected the program will close, and (2) usb composite device, which has dictaphone buttons (record, play, ff buttons etc) as well as a microphone.

for voice recognition software (dragon) I select the usb microphone on mac side under systems preferences, and use intel default audio on pc side. this works fine. for speechmike, if you do this then the dictaphone functions aren't visible to the pc. however, if I select speechmike on the pc side under XP control panel/sound, it doesn't seem to work at all

any suggestions?