Quick-wins to speed up Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by blobdang, Jun 4, 2008.

1. blobdang

blobdang Member

Hi, at the risk of missing possibly numerous previous posts on this subject, is there some quick-wins to speed up my Windows XP within Parallels for a newbie?

Thanks...

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

1. Set memory for Virtual Machine to let to about 1gb
    2. Perform Mac and Windows side disk defragmentation http://www.xvsxp.com/system/system_tools_defrag.php
    3. enable Intel VT-x support on Parallels Desktop -<Virtual Machine name>-Edit-Virtual Machine-Options -Advanced
    4. Disable Themes in Windows XP serives.msc stop Themes service

3. blobdang

blobdang Member

Thanks John - just a quick query to upping the RAM to 1GB - may seem an obvious point but...

1. If I increase the VM's memory to 1GB, then am I right in that the rest of my imac will only be using 1GB (it has 2GB memory)?

2. If this is the case, when the VM is closed will that free-up the 1GB it has been allotted?

3. Outside the VM, I use potentially memory-hungry applications like Logic and Aperture, therefore would there be a case for increasing the total RAM on the machine?

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I use a 30 gb VM which is around 50% empty

use Applications >> Utilities >> Activity Monitor to see what is happening
    just now Parallels >> Menu >> File >> Clone
    to copy my VM an extrnal La Cie firewire 800Harddisk

having cleaned up my WinXp sp3 VM (delete temporary files too) and update AVG free adnStarOffice 8 (part of pack.google.com

Having a couple of fressh clones
    (with data always saved in shared folders)
    means that if I mess up my VM
    I can just delete it and use a clone

Just now whilst cloning my VM
    Parallels uses
    46.71 mb Real Memory and 1.71 gb Virtual memory
    kernel.task 117.58 mb and 1.27 gb

Firefox with 14 tabs and a second window uses 335 mb and 749 mb

which is why I am always preaching have pelnty of empty space on hard disks for invisible temporary files
    (like Photoshop undos)

For Macs doing images and graphics get as much memory as you can afford
    (and a second monitor)

my present set up
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughw36/1814417484/

I always double the RAM of any new machine I get

Hugh W

5. John@Parallels

1. Not, always only when Parallels Desktop - Preferences -Memory - Enable Virtual memory preallocation is checked

2. Yes

3. Yes, and one more tip, I am actually using external USB drive as location for VMs, this also good point, as it doesn't load MacHDD

6. blobdang

blobdang Member

Thanks John & Hugh - really appreciated. I'm afraid you're going to 'hold my baby's hand' for this, and walk me through this, if that's o.k...
    In short, like Hugh, I also have an external Lacie Hard Drive (firewired to the imac). The imac's hard drive has only 12GB left on it (320GB in total). Therefore I guess it makes sense to move the location of the VM to the external drive! John can you actually tell me exactly how to do this? Thanks for your patience.

7. John@Parallels

8. blobdang

blobdang Member

I'm not sure if I understand or not. I need clarification as I'm not sure where 'multi-user access' fits in.

The next chapter talks about 'cloning' which (I think) makes some sense.

By cloning am I simply copying the whole of my Virtual Machine? - is this the Microsoft Windows XP folder within the Parallels folder, under Documents in Finder, including all documents, file contained therein.

According to 'My Computer' on the Windows desktop it tells me I have 94.32GB used with a total capacity of 189.91GB - yet the Parallels folder is 164.47GB - this also confuses me!

Therefore to free up space on the imac's hard drive do I simply need to follow the manual and 'clone' to my external drive and then delete the old one?? - and also follow the multi-user instructions?

9. John@Parallels

Multi-user access article I referred describes steps how to copy folder , you can use and copy to another location, of course you can also clone it, it is basically the same

10. blobdang

blobdang Member

John, I've just got back from a short break and read your last post. I'm sorry your answers are very concise but just a tad dry of detail for a newbie like myself - we've all got to start somewhere.

My last question had 5 paragraphs with a number of points that I needed clarification on - all I got was a one sentence answer.

I'm afraid I still don't know what creating multi-users has got to do with my queries. I'm the only 'user', there's nobody else. I guess I'm missing the plot.

At the risk of repeating myself, I urgently need to create extra space on my imac's hard disk. As far as I can gather do I simply need to make a cloned VM to my external hard drive and delete the VM on my imac?

11. blobdang

blobdang Member

Anybody out there?..

12. rbh

rbh Member

Yup.

Connect your FW800/FW400/USB2.0 drive to your Mac, then just start Parallels, DO NOT start your VM, and select clone. Sit back for 5 mins and wait... :)

Once cloned to the external HDD, close the window for the new VM (if it is open - this makes it harder to erase the wrong image) then select the image on the internal HDD, DO NOT start the VM, merely go up to the menu and select "delete".

R

13. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I prefer to clone becasue it enables a path within the Parallels App
    after yesterdays updates
    (also windows ) I am making my standard two clones right now

I have two LA Cie external drives and will soon need a third with all my digital snapshots
    (anyway backing up to the same drive does not help when the HD wears out)

Hugh W