Two Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jonhunt, Jun 17, 2008.

1. jonhunt

jonhunt Bit poster

I know this must be simple, but I'm still very confused by this program and how it works.

The first question involves graphics. I open Parallels. Access Webmail. Open a Word attachment and save the document because I want to use a graphic that is in the document.

I don't have Word on the Mac side. If I select the graphic and copy it when I go to the Mac side I can't paste it into a Pages document. Do I have to have Word on the Mac side? Part of the point in getting Parallels was not having to buy programs I already had.

I guess the basic question should I be able to see documents on either side from the other? If so...I'm lost.

The second question is more basic, but I can't find the answer. I thought I had seen someone use Parallels and they simply pressed a key and the screen revolved to either the Mac side or the Windows side. The only way I've found is to press a button on the top row...not sure exactly how to describe which one...and the image is minimized and then sometimes I can select something that is on the Mac side.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. iota

iota Member

Open your word file in Windows VM, select your graphic then right click then copy then go back to your Mac, kick off "Preview" application, then File ---> New From Clipboard and save it in a format you want and use it in "Pages".

3. jonhunt

jonhunt Bit poster

Thanks...but

There is no right click on an Apple mouse.

4. tblack

tblack Member

Right click on a mac mouse: the default should be control/click, unless you reset it during installation. Hold down ctrl and click as normal, and this will produce a right click in your Windows VM.

There are several ways to get your Windows document into the Mac. If you have installed Parallels tools as part of the Parallels installation, you should be able to just drag and drop the Windows document onto the mac desktop. You should also be able to select and copy the Windows document (using the Windows edit menu) and paste it using the apple edit menu. Or, in the Mac, open Parallels explorer (with the VM off) and choose the document you want, but this is a clunky way of achieving the same result.

Also, when you right click on the Windows document (or a Mac document for that matter) you will get an "open with" choice and at that point you can choose to open the document with a Mac application, if one is available.

Not quite sure what kind of document you were trying to open on the Mac side, but bottom line is, if you want to open it in the Mac side, you need an application in the Mac that will open a document of that type!

Finally - the little box at the top/side of your VM screen is (I think - four little squares?) the coherence button, which makes the VM desktop disappear, so that you just see the Windows application windows on the Mac desktop, but not the whole Windows desktop. To see the Windows desktop again, choose view>single window. If you want a full screen Winows desktop, choose view>full screen, and to get back to the Mac desktop, press alt/enter. This is the revolving screen that you saw.

Tom

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I no longer use apple mice - too small
    the three button and wheel Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse is far more versatile

for example Mac OS supports a Ctrl + wheel zoom function

(don't install any drivers just use the defaults)
    likewise windows keyboards have the alt gro key too

Hugh W

6. jonhunt

jonhunt Bit poster

Thanks.

Thanks....very helpful.