XP Home Ed. will not launch upon Parallels startup,, ,,please help.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by xapi77, Jun 20, 2008.

1. xapi77

xapi77 Bit poster

I have purchased parallels about 10 months or so now, and never had any problems with it until today. XP Home Ed. refuses to start up when I launch Parallels. I click the Parallels icon on my dock and it comes up with the configuration page like it usually does, but then when I click on start and XP comes on and looks like it wants to start but a black screen comes on after a few seconds and just locks everything up and freezes there. When that happens it also locks on and off my other programs Im running until I exit Parallels. I have no idea why it does this, this is the first time I`ve seen it do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Version: 3.0
    Build number: 4560
    Host OS: XP Home Edition
    Host OS details: Mac OS X Tiger , Version 10.4.11
    Guest OS/Remote OS: Windows XP Home
    Guest OS amount of memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 GB on my macbook as a whole)
    Type of computer: MacBook ( OS X Version 10.4.11 ) 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Computer RAM: 2 GB

( I have allocated 1GB on the V.M. side and 1 GB to run Tiger, I even lowered the memory on the V.M. but it still does the same thing, but even with the 1 GB on the V.M. I never had any problems )

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

As a first step please backup (!!!) Virtual Machine where VM is located
    It is usually one of the following folders

Documents/Parallels
    Library/Parallels
    /Users/Shared/Parallels

You can see folder with your Virtual Machine name - stop Parallels Desktop, and copy folders to another place or to external disk (check for size)

Start Parallels Desktop and as you BIOS select several times Parallels Desktop -Action -Send Key- F8, you should see Operating system selection menu, select Safe Mode, click enter

Let me know what happens in this case

3. xapi77

xapi77 Bit poster

XP Home will not launch

John, thanks for getting back to me, I dont see anything with BIOS select on it. I have no idea what that is. When I started Parallels up I went to actions ---> send key , but I didnt see any O.S. menu or Safe Mode.

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

sounds like you may be out of hard disk space

clone the VM to an external HD and try to run the clone from there

How big is your Parallels VM ?
    mine is 30gb

Hugh W

5. xapi77

xapi77 Bit poster

XP Home will not launch

Hugh, my V.M. is 25 GB , so I wouldn't think it should be a problem.

John,, I'm not that computer savvy, so I'll explain it the best I can. I found the safe mode, it was on the black screen that comes up when I force my computer to quit by holding the the power button on my mac then power back up or sometimes by force quitting parallels,,,,and then I get that black screen with all kinds of directions comes up. It says " Windows did not start successfully ",,, then it lists 4 or 5 items to click on:

-safe mode
    -safe mode with networking
    -safe mode with command prompt
    -last know configuration
    -start windows normally.

I seen the safe mode you were talking about. I assumed it was that as I have listed above. It wasn't in the actions menu-- -O.S.menu. But anyways I clicked on it and it brought me to my windows desk top but it was all blacked out. And nothing worked the net or any widows programs on my desk top. I waited a little while and then quit out of parallels and the rebooted and got back on parallels and this time it worked. XP came on quick. I don't know if it was the safe mode I clicked on or what. I also found out that if I "force quit" on parallels on the icon and start it back up it takes 50 times longer and on occasion it doesn't come on at all. Where as if I just "quit" parallels and open it fresh again its says resuming and XP comes on in less then 10 seconds,, is that normal. I guess I shouldn't use "force quit" then. Just use the "quit" ,,I tested it like 10 times and it seems like that's what the pattern is. Hopefully I resolved the issue, crossing my fingers. Thanks guys.

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Yes, my actions assumes Safe Mode, in order Windows to be able to bypass possible corrupted files, driver loading and was able to perform file system check.
    And indeed if you want to quit Parallels Desktop , please shutdown Windows from Start -Shutdown