Should I press C

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by keithh, Jun 11, 2008.

1. keithh

keithh Member

Installing Windows 2000 on Parallels I don't see the Installation Assistant screens that Parallels documentation refers to. Instead it opens up a DOS Command screen. Someway through the installation process, it stops and gives the following warning screen. Am I about to wipe my whole hard drive including the MAC files

".......
    Setuphas determined that your computers startup hard disk is new or been erased, or that your computer is running an operating system that is incompatible with Windows 2000

(some more)

If your computer is running an O.S. that is incompatible woth W2000, continuing Setup may damage or destroy the existing O.S.

To continue press C
    CAUTION : any data currently on your startup hard drive will be lost

To quit Setup, press F3

......"

What do I do next - patently I am very nervous because the installation is not following/displaying the Installation Assistant. if I press C to continue installing W2000 and it wipes my MAC I will be somewhat distraught to say the least and will probably say Oh bother or something like that!!
    keithh is offline Reply With Quote

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

May be your Mac is coming with Boot Camp, and you are trying to install w2k on it
    Please try to use custom install, and create hdd

3. keithh

keithh Member

Still gets to same point

Hi John,

I get to the same point witn Custom install. I follow all the 'recommendeds and then when it gets to "please insert W2000 installation cd" that's when the blue W2000 setup command screen appears and it goes on installing W2000 until it gets to the point I originally raised about pressing C. Where am I going wrong?

4. SanJoseBen

SanJoseBen Member

Press C... Probably

If you set up a new virtual machine and choose to create a new virtual hard disk file, then what Windows 2000 Setup is saying is true. The hard disk is new. It has not been partitioned or formatted. This is just a warning in case you are trying to install on a disk whose format Windows doesn't recognize.

Choose "C", but only if you are using a new virtual hard disk (which it sounds like you are doing), not your BootCamp partition. Follow the setup prompts and you should be good.

Good luck!

5. keithh

keithh Member

It worked but only 640 x 480 screen

Pressing that C was a worry but it all went ahead - thanks for the encouragement.
    I still have a problem however in that I can't change the screen size to anything other than 640 x 480 and 16 colours. If I stop VM and enter VMconfiguration it shows "0 items (0 enabled)" against the monitors entry.
    Any thoughts on what I have done wrong. The documentation implies you can drag the window size out, I can't even go into windows control panel and change to anything other than 640 x 480

6. John@Parallels

Install Parallels Tools
    Parallels Desktop -Action- Install Parallels Tools

7. keithh

keithh Member

Trouble with peripherals

Brilliant.

The only problem I am left with is getting the virtual W2000 to recognise my memory stick (that I want to use to transfer files from my old PC) and I cannot get it to see my wireless printer. Any pointers would be appreciated

8. John@Parallels

Printer
    install Shared Printer as described in Parallels Desktop for Mac user guide from http://www.parallels.com/en/download/file/doc/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac_User_Guide.pdf on page 135

Memory stick,
    Can you see it in Mac OS, if yes you can add it as shared folder to VM

9. keithh

keithh Member

I had tried that but all I could get is Landscape printing,no matter what setting I made. I am guessing there is some master setting somewhere but my lack of MAC knowledge is not helping

10. John@Parallels

What are default printer settings in Mac OS?

11. keithh

keithh Member

I know this sounds a bit dumb but where do I find that - there doesn't seem to be anywhere that you can set a default page orientation tha I can see

12. John@Parallels

13. keithh

keithh Member

But surely Parallels is the MAC application and that doesn't have any page setup facilities. (The documentation talks about setting the orientation in the application's page setup)

14. John@Parallels

I apologize , I gave incorrect information
    I meant please check page layout from Windows site, in printer properties- General - printing preferences

15. keithh

keithh Member

Hi John, I have just had an email that says my trial activation is due up iin 4 days. Can you get someone to circumvent that until we have solved this printing issue. I am pretty much convinced I want to buy the poduct but I want to be absolutely sure it will do what I want and without it being active i can't continue to test.

As I write, I just loaded parallels to double check I had my master printer definition set to portrait and I have a coloured spinning wheel that I can't stop and I can't get at any of the menu functions so i guess I a going to have to turn off my MAC by hand

16. keithh

keithh Member

I have checked and double checked that everything is set for portrait yet all I get is landscape printing. I have even re-installed the printers and tried both the HP L/J 8500 PS and the Apple LW 12/660 PS and both insist on printing portrait on a landscape page.

Has anyone else reported this problem, with any other printer model or the same one (HP Photosmart C4380)

17. John@Parallels

Do you have HP utility installed?
    Can you check for settings there, also as far as I can remember they provide some dtudio software, maybe there you can check for page orientation?

18. keithh

keithh Member

I have HP utility installed on both the MAC and in the w2000 environment. I thought I must not install the driver for the C4280 and could only use the HP L/J 8500 PS or the Apple LW 12/660 PS. I am about to lose my test system at midnight tonight. I will take a chance and buy Parallels as I am sure this problem will get fixed but I am going to try and buy it from a local store so thaat i have an actual hard copy

19. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

in USA ok
    other countries have had problems with updates
    (see old threads on these boards)

but above all check which build first

when I download I get a .dmg which I back up as a a reserve copy on an external hard disk

Hugh W

20. John@Parallels

You can use native HP driver only if you connecting printer by USB.
    OK, at least we found the problem, it is hard to find out when initial information is not complete