USB autoconnect...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mikeshappell, May 31, 2006.

1. mikeshappell

mikeshappell Member

It is GREAT to see USB working much better in the RC2 release. Nice work Parallels.

However, one thing I have noticed is that Parallels tries to connect the USB device to the VM under all circumstances. There appears to be no way to connect a USB device to the machine and not to have it connect (or attempt to connect to the VM). There are obviously some devices that are for use on the OS X host only (they have drivers and would always generate the device in use dialog). Could Parallels not attempt to connect a USB device to the VM when the VM does not have focus? I have not tried this yet, but how does Parallels deal with one device an multiple running VMs? I'd think only the active (focus) VM would get the device? What I am suggesting above is similar.

Mike

2. daveef

daveef Member

i must not understand how to run usb devices in this program

I have been running this since beta 5 , always hopeing my usb devices will work. In RC2 I still cant get any of the three usb devices i want to run to work properly.

Creative webcam usb

DeLorme earthmate GPS usb

The first to work perfectly with bootcamp so i know they can run under windows
    in Parallels wndows says device it there but wont connect to it.

Is there some secret one has to know to run usb devices????

these first two are the two i really need to work , otherwise parallels is cute but worthless to me.

Shared printing to All in one HP 1610 which is use on other computer.

i can get around this by printing to a file and then printing it under OS X

I have not seen and improvement in usb devices in the last three updates

3. anville

anville Junior Member

webcams?

Can anyone from Parallels clarify on either:

1) Webcams *should* work, but there appear to be bugs

or

2) Webcams shouldn't be expected to work in RC2, and there may or may not be support for these kind of USB devices in the near or far future.

Obviously, I would prefer #1 :) , but either way I think a lot of us are waiting for this info.

Thanks!