Moving .hdd file from mac os to windows

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rphan, Apr 22, 2008.

1. rphan

rphan Bit poster

I have both Parallels Desktop for mac and Parallels workstation for windows.

I am assuming that it should be possible to copy a VM from mac os to windows, as from as far as I can see, there is only one version of each PVA, not one for each host operating system.

However, when copying the folder over, I notice that while the .pvm file works fine, the .hdd "file" is screwy.

From the terminal in Mac OS, I can see that an .hdd file is really just a folder with two files in it, and that's how it shows up in windows. But parallels is complaining that it can't find out the disk geometry, etc when loading up the VM in the windows host.

Is there anything I can do to make this work?

2. scrowell

scrowell Bit poster

I'm having the same issue

I'm having the same issue, when I take the .hdd file into windows and then back into os x then it sees it as a folder not as a VM hard disk. I'm not sure how to change it back or perhaps it's the process in which we copied the .hdd file. I'm wondering if we compress it into a .zip put it into windows as a zip and then back again if it will stay intact?
    anyone?

MBP 10.5.2 - Parallels 3.0 Build 5584

3. scrowell

scrowell Bit poster

Well that didn't work, I tried to compress the .hdd file then take it into windows and back into my mac, but it didn't work. I'm not sure what the problem is. I think it has to do with the disk formatting (HFS+ vs NTFS). I'm not sure. Anybody?

4. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

I am having this issue also. Why is there no way to run the same image under either OS?