Disk images unable to mount

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Sophist, May 31, 2006.

1. Sophist

Sophist Bit poster

I recently purchased a MacBook and went to install Paralles. For both the prior release and the new RC2, after the download completes from the Parallels site, I cannot get the .dmg disk image to mount. With both versions, I would get an error. I can get other .dmg files to mount, but for some reason the Parallels ones fail. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. scott.junk@paksense.com

scott.junk@paksense.com Junior Member

I have the same problem. I have tried downloading RC2 multiple times. The specific error I get from Disk Utility is:

Image: Parallels-Desktop-1842.7-Mac.dmg
    Reason: not recognized

3. mostafat

mostafat Bit poster

I just downloaded RC2 2 times and I am having the same problem. The disk image won't mount.

4. dailo

dailo Member

There is a problem with the webserver, it is not downloading the file completely. Looks like we will just have to wait it out.

5. berniekravitz

berniekravitz Bit poster

mirror?

I'm having the same problem. Just got a band new MacBook PRO, and am anxious to do my windows coding on it :mad: ...

Does anyone have a mirror? For poor old me?

6. chartb

chartb Member

While downloading (using Safari), I noticed in the download box that the file would stop downloading at some point, and then I'd get the 'Disk image not recognized' message as the download timed out.

I sat there and monitored the download... when I saw the amount downloaded stop increasing, I hit the "Halt Downloading" (x) button, then "Continue" The download would pick up from the point it left off... after doing this 3-5 times, I made it through a successful download...

7. Sophist

Sophist Bit poster

That's not the same issue I'm having -- the file seems to download completely but just doesn't mount the disk image. Under the Safari downloads window it says "mounting failed."

8. Sophist

Sophist Bit poster

I waited out downloading and installing the previous version because of this problem, acting under the belief that perhaps the next update would remedy this problem. It hasn't. Yet glancing at the message board, there are obviously many others who are running RC2 which suggests that they were able to download the update, mount the disk image, and run the installer. Why do you think we are having problems? Or are those other users updating using different means?

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Sorry for inconvinience guys! The web server is overloaded and this results in downloading broken images sometimes. We will address this issue for the next update but for now please wait and try to download later.

10. monoclast

monoclast Member

Try downloading it with something other than Safari.

11. Jisi

Jisi Member

Download via wget. Use Terminal, type

Code:
    wget http://download.parallels.com/beta/Parallels-Desktop-1842.7-Mac.dmg

12. Sophist

Sophist Bit poster

Same result with Firefox. I'll try Jisi's suggestion with Terminal and report back.

13. Sophist

Sophist Bit poster

Using wget in Terminal didn't do anything, or I can't tell if it does anything. Do I go to File/New Command and then paste in the above command? That's what I did and I don't see it doing anything. I get the following reply: -bash: wget: command not found
    logout
    [Process completed]

14. makepeace

makepeace Junior Member

Its a Tiger Problem

I have had (and reported) the same problem with many .dmg files - the problem seems to be that Safari gives up on a download and then tries to open the file before it is 100% complete - of course you get a .dmg could not be mounted type error.
    I have had it with Firefox dmg, Skype dmg and others repeatedly (we have very poor bandwidth here). Solution is probably to download on a PC and FTP across - Tiger 10.4.6 still has some issues to resolve.

15. sandie

sandie Bit poster

Download of new build yesterday went fine but now when I try to install Parallels I get the message "the following disk images failed to mount"
    Parallels destop 197 not recognized.
    Using MacBook.
    Thanks for any help..........sandie