Parallels freezes

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by richfbrown, Jun 23, 2008.

1. richfbrown

richfbrown Member

I have been having problems with Parallels randomly freezing in MacOS X 10.5.3. This can happen even if Parallels Desktop is open but the Virtual machine is stopped. Parallels will lock up, and even the Force Quit will not work. Interestingly, I can force quit any Windows apps that are running, but not Parallels itself.

While the Mac side is not affected, I have to perform a hard reboot using the power switch in order to get Parallels to quit. I have not experienced this behavior until recently. I am using Parallels build 5608, but I had the same problem with the previous build (5600, I think).

Does anyone have any suggestions, as this has rendered Parallels almost useless to me.

2. richfbrown

richfbrown Member

Some additional information I forgot to mention in the original post. I am using a MacBook 2.16 Ghz with 3 GB of RAM installed. The memory assigned to Parallels is 1392 MB. I am running Windows XP

3. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Have you tried reinstalling parallels and parallels tools?

4. richfbrown

richfbrown Member

I installed the latest build 5608 over the previous build and re-installed the Parallels Tools after that. Is there something I should do to uninstall first?

5. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Sometimes it help just installing the same build again + tools.

6. richfbrown

richfbrown Member

Still no solution

I am still having the same problem with Parallels hanging. This has been going on for 3 months. The last correspondance I received from John of Parallels said that he was sending my issue to the development group. I have not heard anything back in over a month, and am getting no replies to my emails asking if there has been any progress.

I have installed Parallels on a separate hard drive with a clean MacOS X installatation and the problem persists. Has anyone had any experience with VMware Fusion, because Parallels is basically useless to me at this point.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
  7. richfbrown

richfbrown Member

Well I'm happy to do any testing that may help you. This is a frustrating problem because I typically use Parallels during presentations, and so the random hanging has made it impossible for me to continue to use Parallels.